Whiplash Oscar win - will it spur sudden interest in "jazz drumming"?

geezer

And the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor goes to the angry guy from Whiplash...

Given that folks can be easily influenced (like when the Taco Bell chihuahua inspired everyone and their mum to go out and get a chihuahua - which they promptly dumped in animal shelters a few months later...) should we anticipate an increased interest in "jazz drumming" (or should that be an increased interest in profuse sweating and snare drum punching?) or drumming in general now?

Just the opposite - people will stay away from drumming in droves out of fear of encountering psychopathic, stick throwing drum teachers.

since this movie reminded me of a bad Disney movie I'll compare it to another Disney movie called 101 Dalmatians

much like everyones mom went out and bought their kids Dalmatians then brought them to the pound when they figured out they actually had to take care of the dog
.... a whole lot of parents will probably end up buying drum sets that will end up at garage sales, on craigslist, ebay etc. in a year when these kids find out that they actually have to practice

but a few of those drummers will see it through

so if this terrible motion picture produces some contributing musicians then it is absolutely a good thing

Good question. People are impressionable to whatever you put in front of them. So I'm going with Tony's answer and say yea.

No matter how exaggerated things got, it's good to see drummers as a focus in something in the mainstream media. Drums are an inherently interesting instrument, that's been kind of pushed off to the side in favor of other more "in your face" instruments. I'd like to see drums get a PR facelift. The general public knows more guitarists, keyboardists and singers than drummers and bass players.

Bass players deserve their own movie too. Another obscured element of music that gets maybe less attention than drummers.

I don't know.

Did Chariots of Fire inspire people to take up running?

Did No Country for Old Men inspire people to take up drug running and killing?

Did Black Swan inspire people to take up ballet?

Did Million Dollar Baby inspire people to take up boxing?

Wanting to get a dog is one thing, taking up something that requires hours/months/years of dedication is something else.

I don't know.

Wanting to get a dog is one thing, taking up something that requires hours/months/years of dedication is something else.

Sadly, the millions of dogs that enter shelters in the US each year attests to the fact that many people don't think things through and neglect the many years of comittment responsible ownership entails.

Drums are no different (although ebay and your friendly neighbourhood instrument shop takes the place of the animal shelter, and at a much lower rate).

Hollywood should do movies about something it knows about ,like freebasing cocaine and smoking heroin .

At least they have real world experience with those issues.

Not even sure Rocky did. I think the closest it came was to inspire people to run up stairs, pumping their arms about with the sound of trumpet anthems in their heads.

And I think for a fleeting moment after the Karate Kid, parents worldwide sat back in wonder at their kids' eagerness to paint fences, sand floors and wax cars.....but it was pretty short lived. Not sure if it actually inspired that many black belts as a result.

I think the types of people that will feel a sudden urge to take up drumming after watching a movie are the same types that won't see it through. As WhoIsTony? pointed out, it may result in a flood of drumsets on CL in the near future.

Thank God I was seven when Top Gun came out.....otherwise I might have killed myself trying to fly a fighter jet.

I digress...I could use another set so hopefully there will be an uptick on the number of kits available on CL in coming weeks/months...

BTW, congrats to the winners in Whiplash, notably JK Simmons. Well deserved.

I don't know.

Did Chariots of Fire inspire people to take up running?

Did No Country for Old Men inspire people to take up drug running and killing?

Did Black Swan inspire people to take up ballet?

since the release of this movie I have had 3 or 4 calls for lesson inquiries by people who mentioned this movie during the phone call

so yeah... it's happening

unfortunately there is no available space on my schedule at the moment so I will not yet be able to see any of these movie inspired students ... but they did agree to the waiting list

I have an elder brother who use to throw drum sticks at me-broke one on my head. Yeah I know explains a lot LOL. He use to tie me to an electric fence too. So he would make a hell of drum teacher-shock therapy.

I have an elder brother who use to throw drum sticks at me-broke one on my head. Yeah I know explains a lot LOL. He use to tie me to an electric fence too. So he would make a hell of drum teacher-shock therapy.

Yea, that's not abusive at all. Please tell me the fence wasn't energized, and that the drumstick was a rimshot ruined 7A.

I have not seen the movie, but much press, and discussion here. Question is, Is this movie really about drumming? Would things change at all if the kid played a trumpet. I think drumming, or even the teacher, was just a vehicle.

"I think drumming, or even the teacher, was just a vehicle." Vehicle-that makes sense-must of had a bad wreck and developed a bad case of "Whiplash".

I just checked before posting, and maybe I am a bit naive, but the movie has an R rating so I wonder how many impressionable young people will see it anyway.

I'm hoping it scare people away from drumming, so I can get more jobs

And the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor goes to the angry guy from Whiplash...

Given that folks can be easily influenced (like when the Taco Bell chihuahua inspired everyone and their mum to go out and get a chihuahua - which they promptly dumped in animal shelters a few months later...) should we anticipate an increased interest in "jazz drumming" (or should that be an increased interest in profuse sweating and snare drum punching?) or drumming in general now?

I'm assuming that based on his performance and awards this will more likely persuade youngsters to pick up acting.

I dunno, it's not exactly inspirational, is it? It's pretty content-free compared to movies that influenced a lot of people-- like Searching For Bobby Fisher or Rounders. They actually told you something about the thing they were about, so you could get interested in it. In Whiplash there's nothing to it except the conflict- there's the mutilated Papa Jo story, and the "most dangerous words" speech, and that's it. Maybe it will encourage some late teens who already play to be more dickish about their ambition.

Back