My homemade octoban project

I'm still waiting on the heads to get here, but I put them on the stands and here they are:

octobans210_zpsf2ae6d12.jpg

octobans212_zps4c8efc3f.jpg

octobans26_zps1500d2ae.jpg

7b2c2b78-d50c-4e67-84b0-691e784508be_zps28dce856.jpg

Wow man! This is all that I could wish for! Now I might actually go build these things myself in the future :)

wow, nice job.
just curious, what did you spend on materials, all in?
And how many hours?

wow, nice job.
just curious, what did you spend on materials, all in?
And how many hours?

The 6' long acrylic tubing was $96 shipped. The hardware (16 lugs, tension rods, 32 mounting screws, 4 hoops, and 4 tom leg brackets to mount them and 4 6" Evans G1 clear heads) was $230. I found the 2 dual tom stands used online and Craigslist for about $100 for both. So, around $425 total for everything.

those things are great. One of the nicest DTI projects I have seen on here.

These are very cool, but I have to wonder: how did you screw the tom brackets to the shells?

These are very cool, but I have to wonder: how did you screw the tom brackets to the shells?

I drilled holes just larger than the bosses for the mounting screws. Put the brackets in place and the bosses were flush with the inside wall. Used the supplied gasket and two screws with large washers.

Does that answer your question?

I drilled holes just larger than the bosses for the mounting screws. Put the brackets in place and the bosses were flush with the inside wall. Used the supplied gasket and two screws with large washers.

Does that answer your question?

No, I mean the shells are very narrow, aren't they? How did you fit a screwdriver in there?

I dig 'em! Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun ahead. Well done.

I got the hardware from drummaker.com, but I wouldn't recommend them because I had to wait over 2 months for it. I'm STILL waiting for the heads I ordered back in early December.

Oh cool, and thanks for the info. Would you recommend anyone else instead of drummaker.com?

Overall great job and thank you for the info on making these octobans as I plan to in the future as well.

I got the hardware from drummaker.com, but I wouldn't recommend them because I had to wait over 2 months for it. I'm STILL waiting for the heads I ordered back in early December.

Oh cool, and thanks for the info. Would you recommend anyone else instead of drummaker.com?

Overall great job and thank you for the info on making these octobans as I plan to in the future as well.

Thanks! Drummaker's products are top notch, but sadly, customer service isn't. If you're in no hurry (like months) then by all means order from them. I STILL don't have my heads that I ordered back in December so I sourced 4 new ones on Drumfactorydirect.com and they were shipped immediately. Give them a shot.

Very impressive. Looks factory-perfect. What a neat project and thanks for sharing the process. Enjoy them!

I would like some better focused photos.

I will take some today with my Panasonic Lumix, all the earlier pics were taken with my iPhone, except for the finished photos on the carpet.

I keep saying that "I'm done!" but I just added my homemade acrylic octobans and moved some things around to accommodate them. Hope you enjoy!

Tama 6 pc. (with added 8" birch tom stained and poly to match) Silverstar Birch with Tamo Ash outer wrap (8', 10", 12" rack toms, 14" and 16" floor toms, 14 X 5 snare, 22" kick)
4 homemade shorty acrylic octobans (11, 12, 13, 15")
14" Sabian HHX Evolution primary hats
14" Sabian HH Dark X-Hats
22" Sabian AAX Metal Ride
16" Sabian HH Thin Chinese
17" Sabian HHX-Treme crash
18" Sabian HHX-Plosion crash
18" Sabian AAX Freq crash (!!!)
16" Istanbul Mehmet Radiant Sweet Crash
18" Istanbul Mehmet Carmine Appice Realistic Rock China
12" Wuhan China
8" Istanbul Agop Sultan Splash
10" Istanbul Mehmet Rock Splash
12" Sabian Mike Portnoy Signature Splash
Evans Black Chrome batter heads on Toms
Evans General Resonant heads on Toms
Evans G1 heads on octobans
Evans HD Dry coated head on snare/Hazy300
Evans EQ4 Kick drum batter
Remo Powerstroke 3 kick drum reso
Pearl P2000 double pedals, Hi-hat stand and remote hi-hat stand
Eccentric Systems Quick Torque Cams
Billdidit Hi-hat Drop Clutch and Wash Control
Kickport
Vic Firth Gavin Harrison Signature sticks
Audix and Shure mics
Pork Pie throne

P1010842_zps32c4b310.jpg

P1010843_zps389aaf81.jpg

P1010837_zps8b5fc88e.jpg

Here is a quick video I had taken today, just to give an idea of the kit's sound. I play the octobans a couple times during the video.

http://youtu.be/8uun9pQOTFo

Back