Show us your tiny kits

Hi Polly
I just got this one. Tama STAGESTAR, It's an older one as far as I can tell. Im trying to find out what year it is.
14x18 bass
8x10, 8x12, rack toms
12x14 floor tom
5x13 steel snare
I haven't replaced the stock dented heads from the novice player that owned it yet. I ordered them.
I haven't had time to clean/shine it. When I change the heads I'll detail it.
I made a 2" riser for the 18" bass drum. It works great!

The kit is in great condition. It will polish up like new.

It sounds and plays excellent! Great tuning range. I can't wait until the Aquarian SK II and the black Tama logo heads arrive for the bass drum along with the new Aquarian Studio-X coated single ply tom heads.

Hey Bob. Beautiful finish on it. I looked at the pics before reading your post and was going to comment that you appeared to be giving the kit a real lashing lol. How the hell does one ding a head like that??

Cruz, is that really an opalescent finish on your kick or a trick of the light?

McBike I think I've already salivated over your sparkle kit before (mataphorically speaking) so no need to do it again :)

Hey Bob. Beautiful finish on it. I looked at the pics before reading your post and was going to comment that you appeared to be giving the kit a real lashing lol. How the hell does one ding a head like that??
I feel like I have rescued an abused small animal from a shelter! LOL
I don't know how one dents heads like that! I have only put a small dent in a head every now and then when something heavy fell on the drum. Perhaps he was using two pound ball peen hammers for sticks! Im glad that the kid who played the kit didn't hit the shells or the bearing edges. This kid needed triple ply heads!

I think it comes from banging real hard on very loose heads.

It also comes from stock heads. I swear those things tend to be Diplomat weight.

Cruz, is that really an opalescent finish on your kick or a trick of the light?
its actully the tama bronz mist wrap,and it is but only slightly

8922_127612908636_656018636_2363142.jpg

That's my small little toy drum that I always use whenever I perfrom...whther is a small gig or concert show!!!! easy to st up & carry!!!

Hey Everyone
I just found this thread but I've been into the tiny/mini/jungle kit for a couple years now. It started when I stumbled on a "Groove Percussion" 4 pc that a guy was selling with some nice cymbals. I just wanted the cymbals. Then I found out this Groove Percussion kit was actually a rebadged Yamaha Manu Katche kit sold only by Sam Ash. In fact the snare is exactly the same as the Yamaha 12" Musashi SnareWhen I played it, it was one of those WHAT??? moments. Couldn't believe it. The 16x16 kick blew me away and the overall sound just hooked me. I looked over at my Gretsch 6Pc Renown Walnut/Rack system and thought "wow maybe I DON'T need to break that thing down all the time" . Anyway it's great and since then the Gretsch is gone, which really hurt, but kept the little Groover and added a 4x14 Pearl Maple Snare and just converted a 18x18 Pearl Maple Tom to my new kick and added legs to the 16x16 for a monster floor tom. Now if I need a bigger sound for Funk or Big Band it's there or scale it back down to a tiny 3 or 4 pc as needed. Never needs more than 2 stands even with all my cymbals and hanging 13" tom. Heres a pic of original and one all grown up.Drums:18x18; 16x16' 13x13'10x7;12x5 Snare'14x4 Snare' Cymbals: 10 Sabian HH splash;13" Zildj. MasterSound Hats; 16" Sabian HH thin crash;16" Zildj.Medium Crash; 16" Wuhan China 3 rivets19" Armand Zildj. Beautiful Baby Ride 3 rivets; 20" Zildj K Custom Dark Ride

Attachments

• 1205091550s.JPG
    1205091550s.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 8,371
  • OrigGroovePercussBD3264MA4pc.jpg
    OrigGroovePercussBD3264MA4pc.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 6,532
Last edited:
That's pretty tiny, Philly. Hey, that cat can really play!

I might have to revoke my membership to the Tiny Kits Club. I recently added the 8" RT tom to the 12". Two toms and a djembe ... at this rate I'll have a Terry Bozzio type kit soon!

Here is my mini kit I made out of an old floor tom, a donor bass drum, and rack toms for floor toms. Sizes...kick 16x16, rack tom 5x10, floor toms 11x12 and 12x13, and a 5.5x14 snare.
16970_612640037773_48204089_3540435.jpg

16970_612640032783_48204089_3540435.jpg

16970_612640397053_48204089_3540-3.jpg

Here's the start of a project i decided to work on over this summer. I just turned an old floor tom into a bass drum. Still needs work doing, the skins changing, a lip added for the bass drum pedal to attach to etc. Will add hihats and have a ride instead on the completed kit. Here is what i have so far anyway:

1.jpg

top.jpg

winner! i love this one. choke the crash to get hit hat sounds. E tape on the bd head. so classy. perfect small kit.

How small of a drum could you use for a bass drum and still get some decent sound? I know jazz/practice kits usually use an 18" or 16" diameter, and alot of people convert 16" floor toms for bass drums. Would a 14" dia x 16" deep floor tom be too small? I am thinking mainly for practice in small rooms or even gigging in acoustic settings in smaller clubs/settings.

How small of a drum could you use for a bass drum and still get some decent sound? I know jazz/practice kits usually use an 18" or 16" diameter, and alot of people convert 16" floor toms for bass drums. Would a 14" dia x 16" deep floor tom be too small? I am thinking mainly for practice in small rooms or even gigging in acoustic settings in smaller clubs/settings.
I feel that the limit is reached at 16 inches. Even that's pushing it a bit.
A low bass sound is hard enough to get from a 16" drum. I guess that you could mount a pedal on your 14" tom and experiment. The 16" depth may help a bit.
Why not give it a shot and see how it works.
You can also mount your pedal underneath your standing tom like Cocktail drum kits. A Cocktail kit bass drum pedal may be the best answer for you if you plan to use a 14 inch tom.
Your floor tom and your bass drum will be the same drum! If you notice, A real deep 14 or 15" drum is used on the Cocktail kit.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GP-Percus...0000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10975383

Last edited:
I have a Manu Katche Hip Gig, but saw this at the NAMM show and it puts my kit's tiny-ness to shame.

Attachments

• gioco.jpg
    gioco.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 7,158
Back