View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Practice- To book or not to book

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjazzdrums View Post
Thanks to everyone for the answers so far.

In response to this message, I do have a qualified teacher but the way he chooses to teach me is typically by working through books. Also, I play in various small jazz and big band settings as much as I can but I guess I could always play more with others.

So, let's just say I stopped using books for a week. If I wanted to fill in an hour each night with stuff on my own, what would you recommend that I practice? Should I try to work out fills or just play along with songs? I'm just confused with how to think of things to work on without the aid of books.

I might have heard Mr. Weckl in a way that I interpreted his comment differently. I believe he said he doesn't necessarily endorse the book method, perhaps he meant that you shouldn't only use books. I am in complete agreement that it's never good to just practice one way. Thanks again to everyone.
I'm positively not saying don't use books. If you have a teacher and he's asking you to use the books, then your doing the right thing by following his request. Many of the drum exercises in Gary Chester's The New Breed were given to Weckl before they were published. I read this in Modern Drummer article about Gary Chester a couple of years ago.

Are you recording any of your practice sessions? Video is best (in my opinion), but if you at least record yourself every so often, you can better identify areas that should become the focus for your next practice.