View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Thaard's one year jazz-drumming study.

Man, you are killin' it!

You may be new to the music but you're obviously picking things up quickly. I can tell you've done your homework listening to a lot of jazz. That's the most important piece of advice I could give. The more you do that, the more ideas for solos you'll come up with. Learning transcriptions of solos played by the masters, or even just watching them live/on video, can be a real eye-opener.

I would echo others and just say I think the most helpful thing is shifting focus to the feel of the ride. How you play the ride is your personal signature and it is where the groove resides in jazz. It's the equivalent of backbeat and bass drum placement in rock/funk/fusion. It's what determines whether the music feels solid and makes the band feel good or makes everyone nervous and uncertain.

I like how you are already varying the spang-a-lang pattern, playing just quarters at times. That's a bit more advanced. The main thing there is to make sure to vary the ride pattern and leave notes out because you choose to, not because of any coordinative limitations with keeping the 55 going.

Keep on keepin' on, Thaard. Very, very impressive. I sincerely doubt you'll need to wait a year to post updated clips. You're just a really talented musician and you're learning very fast.