DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mapex Pro M Purple to White Fade (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18171)

zappafan 09-19-2006 01:22 AM

Mapex Pro M Purple to White Fade

4 Attachment(s)
Hey dudes. Been browsing for a while. Decided to take the plunge and join. Here's the kit.
Mapex Pro M
Zildjian 16 and 17 K Dark Thin Crashes
16 and 18 HHX Stage Crashes
20 inch HH Leopard Ride
14 inch Stage Hats HHX
10 inch HH Duo Splash

Cheers.

komodo 09-19-2006 01:27 AM

Re: Mapex Pro M Purple to White Fade

Possible one of the coolest lookin finishes ive seen,lovin the colours! Plus pro ms r brill kits,i have one :P Nice cymbals + set up too. All in all...Nice one!!

rendezvous_drummer 09-19-2006 02:06 AM

Love the finish, love the cymbals and set-up. Looks very comfortable to play. A beauty!

toxegendrummer 09-19-2006 02:08 AM

I dig those HHX's...just a beautiful assortment of everything...Enjoy :D

Synthetik 09-19-2006 02:56 AM

I always thought that was a cool finish. Mike Portnoy used that color for a while. I run across a purple kit (of some kind) maybe 2% of all the kits out there. That makes it even cooler!

Harakirie 09-19-2006 08:33 PM

haha could be mike portnoys mini purple monster !
I love the K`s great great comfy set up !

GREAT

zappafan 09-19-2006 09:39 PM

Thanx for the resposes dudes. The cymbals , although from 2 companies , match perfect imo. The K's seem to fit perfectly (16 and 17) between the HHX's (16 and 18) in terms of pitch. I dig the colors too. Different from most. Looks like a mini Portnoy set up....but alas it certainly doesn't sound Portnoy like (at least not when I play them). :)

Peace.

Synthetik 09-19-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zappafan
The cymbals , although from 2 companies , match perfect imo. The K's seem to fit perfectly (16 and 17) between the HHX's (16 and 18) in terms of pitch.
Peace.

That's because the cymbals are pretty close in concept. If it was a Zildjian A custom and HHX, that would be bright+ dark. I suppose it could work for some applications, but they would not blend if that is your goal.

K+ HHX are a nice combo. No law that states: "Thou shalt keep thy cymbal brands pure."

"Introducing The Siamese monster's mini me." Monster lite!

badlydubbedsean 09-19-2006 09:51 PM

tht looks like fun to play! i kno this is a strange question bt r u sure tht's a pro m?? the logo looks like an orion or a saturn.

badlydubbedsean 09-19-2006 09:53 PM

hmm and those cymbals rely do match perfectly. looks slick!

zappafan 09-19-2006 10:05 PM

No law that states: "Thou shalt keep thy cymbal brands pure."

Synthetik - right on! I see some guys ask "What's the closest Sabian to an A custom Zildjian" as an example. What you say is absolutely correct - In that case I just stated - I say , just get the A custom. No need to be a one brand dude if they aren't payin' ya. I just got what sounded good to me.(BTW , no one will be paying me any time soon to use their cymbals ;))

"Introducing The Siamese monster's mini me." Monster lite!
I like it!

badlydubbed sean

Yes , it is a Pro M and is a riot to play.
As Synthetik pointed out , the cymbal tonal qualities are similar , so they match. Although there is no rule which cymbals to get , they work for me.
Thanx dude.

badlydubbedsean 09-19-2006 10:13 PM

o who cares about names anyway, tht just looks so kl and if u say so, then its a great play! all i can say is i want one! lol!

plz comment on my mapex birch thread. . . somewhere. . .

xXdrumsX4lifeXx 09-20-2006 05:36 PM

that is a sweet set. im liking the cymbals and color of the hardware.

Drummer Karl 09-20-2006 06:23 PM

crazy but it looks so absolutly awesome! some years ago I sweared to buy never such a "crazy" looking kit but nowa days...I`d definitly do it!

Great!

Karl

wnameth 09-20-2006 07:37 PM

How are the K dark thin crashes in relation to say an A thin 17" crash which is what i have now, i want to have a cymbal set up like this by christmas:

17" projection A custom, 17" K something crash (not sure yet) mastersound hats, A custom medium ride, and 10" A custom ride. I currently have the following:

14" newbeat A's, 17" A medium thin crash, 20" A custom medium ride, 10" A custom splash.

What would you recommend, as you use K's.

-Wes

p.s Awesome kit, is that the same model that Portnoy uses just with less drums, or is that just the same finish?

Mapex589 09-20-2006 08:12 PM

What a great looking kit!! Great finish and a great drum company as well. I love the pictures on the wall too!!

Darren675 09-20-2006 10:01 PM

that;s a nice kit uve got there, well done

photon 09-20-2006 10:34 PM

Very nice...

I think Mapex has the best selection of finishes of all the drum manufacturers.

zappafan 09-20-2006 11:07 PM

xXdrums - Thanx dude. Love the HHX and K's

Drummer Karl - Thanx! Crazy is a good thing ;)

wnameth - I would suggest that if it sounds good to you , go for it (that being the K). For me personally , I dig the darker sounds. Therefore , K's and HHX are similar in tone , so I went for that particular match. There is nothing wrong with mixing series , though. The A series , I believe is a brighter pitch as well as the A custom which you have. If you like the contrast of sounds , that would be cool as well. It's all preference. No wrong answer here. You can look on the Zildjian web site and you will see pro's having a mixture of stuff in there arsenal as well. As an example - Tim Alexander of Primus uses an A custom splash and crashes but uses a K custom ride. Hope that helped dude.

Mapex589 - Thanx. I got a good deal on a printer from my buddy and got the pics on the net. I have the cool baby playing drums on another wall too ;) The middle one is my kit before the K's and the Splash.

Darren 675 - Thanx!

photon - Thanx! The lacquer finishes are amazing imo too. The tobacco fade is awesome too.

bonham990 09-20-2006 11:31 PM

thats a wicked set you got yourself there

hardrocker74 09-21-2006 01:08 AM

Sick kit and awesome finish. Rock on dude

crumbdrums 09-22-2006 03:39 AM

I swear dude, that's the color of my next kit...

crumbdrums 09-22-2006 03:39 AM

I swear dude, that's the color of my next kit...

Mr. A.C. Perkins 09-29-2006 05:49 AM

You know, I sold these cymbals to Zappafan a few years ago, though we didn't carry the Mapex. No one's got a kit quite as nice as yours mang :)

zappafan 09-29-2006 02:45 PM

Thanx for the kind words crumbdrums , hardrocker74 and bonham990.
crumbdrums - apparently , they discontinued this color (Mapex) that is. Too bad , 'cause apparently more than just me dig it ;)

As for YOU , Mr. (Sir) Perkins. Thanx for the comment brother.

For the other guys here , he did sell me the cymbals and without his help , I would not have found the right ones for me. If there are beginners /intermediate players here and I'm sure there are you guys would be fortunate to have someone like that working in a music store that is :

1. Extremely knowledgeable about not only ALL brands of cymbals but of ALL the brands of drums he carries.
2. Helpful in terms of finding the right sound for YOU. ( Thanx for not letting me get the neat looking Titanium ones...did I just say that I liked those ;))

Apparently , from reading on other forums , this is not the case in many shops (ie Guitar Center)

*can I have my 20 bucks now , Teddy??*

Peace.

Mapex589 09-29-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zappafan

For the other guys here , he did sell me the cymbals and without his help , I would not have found the right ones for me. If there are beginners /intermediate players here and I'm sure there are you guys would be fortunate to have someone like that working in a music store that is :

1. Extremely knowledgeable about not only ALL brands of cymbals but of ALL the brands of drums he carries.
2. Helpful in terms of finding the right sound for YOU. ( Thanx for not letting me get the neat looking Titanium ones...did I just say that I liked those ;))

Apparently , from reading on other forums , this is not the case in many shops (ie Guitar Center)

*can I have my 20 bucks now , Teddy??*

Peace.

I couldn't agree more with these comments. I do all of my business with a local 5 star drum shop not the big box stores. Why not support a true drum shop instead of a drum room!! I understand some folks dont have a choice in the matter but if you have a local drum shop in town they seem to have the long term employees who know their stuff and five star shops have just a good of prices as the GC's of the world. Support your local drum shops!!

fusssion 09-29-2006 03:15 PM

Nice cymbal set up! However....did you know they'd sound even better if you took the price tag off the bottoms of the cymbals? :)

Carter.it 09-29-2006 07:05 PM

Man i love this finish!!!! Mapex is doing great kits, i have to say that!! Love the hhx too..
Congratulations!!!

CVdrummer 09-30-2006 06:17 AM

i hated the color purple until i saw the pics of your kit. thanks man =]

im digging your set up

Jamesy 09-30-2006 06:29 AM

Wow I love that finish. Would look great in black as well. And you have a great setup.

emmerson 09-30-2006 02:43 PM

beautiful
fgdsgfdghfdshfdhdsf

Mr. A.C. Perkins 10-04-2006 02:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey thanks Tony :) I try as hard as I can, I think I got the one picture to work... it's the most current, but my mug's in it so forgive me :)

Hope the other one works too cause this is a dark pic.

Mr. A.C. Perkins

Mr. A.C. Perkins 10-04-2006 02:19 AM

YEEAAHH IT WORKED!! Sorry all, I know there's a place for this stuff :)

nhzoso 10-04-2006 05:42 AM

Very nice kit man..Hmmm I may have to look into Mapex when I upgrade from my beginners kit. By the way where did you get those drum related pictures on your wall?? They look pretty cool and I have been looking for some nice pics like that for my room.

Mr. A.C. Perkins 10-04-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapex589
I couldn't agree more with these comments. I do all of my business with a local 5 star drum shop not the big box stores. Why not support a true drum shop instead of a drum room!! I understand some folks dont have a choice in the matter but if you have a local drum shop in town they seem to have the long term employees who know their stuff and five star shops have just a good of prices as the GC's of the world. Support your local drum shops!!

Thanks, Mapex589! John Bellone's coers all rock instruments (and so all I manage is the drum section), but we still try to make sure everyone is happy. I WILL say a word for all drum guys (good and bad) ... this is a REALLY HARD JOB (though I love it), and trying to recall everything that I need to do everyday is a heavy task set... I'll quit my whining, though, could be worse... I can think of a million jobs I don't want :) But be easy on the drum guys around the industry, ESPECIALLY young guys like me that have only a few years experience. I've never been to a Guitar Center... but a complete knowledge set and understanding towards customers IS A MUST :) I hope I'm getting there, Zappafan was easy... once I got him to stop talking :) and buy something ha ha ha !!

zappafan 10-05-2006 01:50 AM

Wow! Thanx a lot dudes. I'm feelin' the love over here :) Glad you guys are diggin' the color and the set up. The rack helps a lot for me. Everything is nice and close.

Peace.

maddrummr 10-06-2006 05:17 AM

Purple+white= NICE. that color could not kick any more a$$. One thing though i really dislike the way some ppls cymbals are so close together. If anyone would like to let my know why they put it that way, then that would be cool.
HAPPY DRUMMING

Mike Firth 10-07-2006 07:19 PM

Wow awesome choice in finish and cymbals, I bet that thing amazing when its micced up live.

Loving the set up too, probably reallllly comferatable to play on for many hours.

Trommur 11-25-2006 09:48 PM

Oh my god, That's a f*****g beautiful finish, and the cymbals are awesome, overall, sweet kit!

gretsch223 11-26-2006 12:03 AM

What a beautiful kit! Cymbals and drums are great! I love k dark crashes....I wish i could have 2! Looks great!