SpeedCobra Springs

Seth1987

Hello All!

I've been lurking for a bit, but I just couldn't find any posts on this so I thought I'd join and ask! :)

I just recently got a pair of Speed Cobras and love them! I'm really into metal, and I can play your basic stuff. However, I want to get into the really fast stuff: Nile, Fleshgod, etc..

I've always played heel down, but I really top out at about 180-200bpm and I can't really get going much faster than that. So I'm re-learning how to play heel up as that seems the only way to go when it comes to this crazy fast metal.

I got the Speed Cobras because of their super light feel. It makes playing heel down super smooth, but now that I'm going heel up it's so light that I have problems with controlling my feet especiaslly when I'm playing slower stuff because it's just so darn light.

I cranked the spring tension all the way up, and that helped a little bit. I noticed that Tama offers a few different sets of springs for their pedals. A stock spring a heavy spring and a spring for the Speed Cobra. Now here is my question, if I got the heavy spring would that give more tension than the Speed Cobra spring? I'm thinking that if I could just get the spring tension tighter then the pedals would have a little heavier feel to it and I could really get after it.

Any thoughts would be greatly apprecieated! \m/

:) well let's be real I can hit 200 but not super long. 180 is more comfortable for sure. But yeah I have some weird definition going on in my shins these days lol

With I responses so far I wonder if I could just reach out to Tama and ask because like I said I've searched around and have found nothing.

The Speed Cobra features the Super Spring, which features a more hardened and brittle alloy than regular springs.

The Speed Cobra features the Super Spring, which features a more hardened and brittle alloy than regular springs.

So it's hardened and brittle, but does it provide more tension than the heavy IC spring?

If they have them at my local music shop I might just get one and report back the results to you guys. :)

So it's hardened and brittle, but does it provide more tension than the heavy IC spring?

If they have them at my local music shop I might just get one and report back the results to you guys. :)

Not sure exactly but probably heavy. They are designed in such a way that when they are fully extended (the pedal completely pressed down), they produced a more responsive snap back due to the higher tension in the more brittle and dense alloy.

My experience with tama springs is that they don't make the pedals any lighter/heavier. The difference is really only felt in rebound speed.

The best thing to do is just get used to the lighter feel of the SC. When they start to feel right, to me anyway, they feel a little heavier (in a good way). I didn't begin to feel that until doing a particular excercise - transitioning from slower - faster speed. Similar to part of George Kollias' workout, but rather than playing 8th's, 16ths, 32s, I alternate between 16th notes and 8th note triplets, maintaining constant R/L/R/L.

I do this precisely to get used to double bass on new pedals and it works. There's just something about going slow/fast/slow/fast that accelerates the process of getting accustomed to a new pedal.

Last edited:
200 bpm heel down? Wow! I bet you could drive nails into concrete with your shins.

That depends if he's playing quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, or thirtysecond notes.

Back