Mapex M 9 ply Maple

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I bought a used Mapex M kit last year and it took me a long time to identify the year and generation of M series. I tried the Mapex customer rep with absolutely no luck. They do not track serial numbers. Why have serial numbers if you don't track them? Oh well that is another subject. But after inquiries, replies, and some research I was able to identify my drums as 2004 M Maples. The tell tale signs are the badge that is glued on and the solid laquer finish. They are 9 ply maple shells. I am not sure but I think this is the only year that was all maple for the M series. Later years they went to maple outer ply with birch for the other plys.

Anyone else have the M Maple Series drums?

Attachments

• russ big hurt.jpg
    russ big hurt.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 776
  • mapex tom SN.jpg
    mapex tom SN.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 959
Nice Kit! I love Mapex and love the Blue color!
Here is a pic of mine, I think it's from 2002 or 2003, and has the older badge, I'm pretty sure they are all maple as well.

Attachments

• 20131101_233835_resized_1.jpg
    20131101_233835_resized_1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 644
Both of those are nice kits: enjoy!

Peace and goodwill.

Thanks. Actually the color is piano black. Lights just make it look blue. Also notice the deep toms. That is another identifying feature of the Maple M Series.

Not too many of these M Maples out there. Would love to find a 10" tom for it. The one in the picture is an off brand.

Found a 10" that was the newer M series. Same hardware, badge is glued and screw3ed on and it was a transparent sapphire color. I refinished it in solid black. Seven coats of black and 8 of clear lacquer.

Attachments

• 10 b4 paint small.jpg
    10 b4 paint small.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 452
  • 10 painted small.jpg
    10 painted small.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 502
Better pic with the set.

Attachments

• drummer russ new 10.jpg
    drummer russ new 10.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 401