Ludwig Fan Club

• Thread starter Jusstickinaround
  • Start date
J

Jusstickinaround

The title says it all. Two versions of my Ludwigs.
0704071552xd0.jpg

0704071640gj6.jpg

Very nice.

What year are they?

I like it as a four piece much better though, it looks more natural for a Luddy...

Lets see those Luddies people! :]

OK, I'll play...................

Below, at left, are my Natural Maples just prior to tear down for a thorough recondition, which will be complete in a couple of weeks.
12, 13, 14, 16 & 22 six ply shells...............

264252459.jpg

Here is a Kit I picked up a few weeks ago, which will get reconditioned shortly after I finish the Naturals.
1971 date stamped Blue Oyster Pearl Big Beat - 12, 13, 16 & 22 three ply shells w/re-rings.................

264252479.jpg

I've posted the next two Kits before and am due for some new pic's.
1975-76 Stainless Steel Quadra Plus - 13, 14, 15, 16 (concert toms) w/double-headed 18 Floor Tom & 24" Bass...........

264253369.jpg

Here's the Bass after getting new Silver Sparkle Inlay Hoops.............................

195420085.jpg

Here's the 13" Tom I reconditioned just prior to working the Natural Kit that will give me more configuration options on the Stainless.......

264253384.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, my 1965 Downbeat w/matching Downbeat Snare.
3-ply - 12, 14 & 20 w/ 4 x 14 Snare

195419001.jpg

195419044.jpg

195419581.jpg

264256228.jpg

LVDC

Last edited:
What is the name of that rod thats connected to the BD and holds a cymbal?

As shown in the 1963 Ludwig Catalog.............

264342224.jpg

Ludwig still offers these, Part No. L-1372 Cymbal Holder (Shell Mount).
It's also commonly called a L-Arm Cymbal Holder..............................

LVDC

My '07 Supra with Tube Lugs (ignore the non ludwig drums) :)

catjazz2.jpg

LVDC, what are you going to do with those kits? They don't look bad the way they are.

LVDC,

For the red sparkle Ludwigs, is that a 8x12 tom? If so, how do YOU tune them? I'm having trouble with my 8x12...

LVDC, what are you going to do with those kits? They don't look bad the way they are.

They will have all the parts stripped off and thoroughly cleaned & polished, which, in my humble opinion, should be done at least once every 20 years, or thereabouts.

The Blue Oyster Pearl Kit was so filthy when I brought it home I had to wash it before I would even think about putting it in cases. The photo I posted earlier shows it shortly after wiping it down with warm water.

Here is the Downbeat Bass after getting all the parts off of it. If you compare it to the finished photos above you will see that the Sparkling Red Pearl Wrap didn't have much of a sparkle when I got it. Also, you will see the outlines of the Lugs & Hardware on the shot below, which all old Kits look like when you get them stripped down. This is not dust but a crusty, crud, that is next to impossible to remove without removing the Lugs, etc......................

264382170.jpg

Here is another quick example, the Badge on the Natural 16 last night prior to working the shell.
Note "dirty" grommet.....................

264379060.jpg

Here is the Badge after, but with only one coat of wax, it will get cleaner as each coat of wax is applied & removed.
The flash doesn't do it justice, it's a nice shiney Brass now....................

264379181.jpg

One last example. Here are the 16 Floor Tom Parts shortly after removing them....................

264386272.jpg

Here are the parts for the 14" Tom after cleaning, which were far worse than the 16's...........

264386308.jpg

LVDC

Last edited:
They will have all the parts stripped off and thoroughly cleaned & polished, which, in my humble opinion, should be done at least once every 20 years, or thereabouts.

The Blue Oyster Pearl Kit was so filthy when I brought it home I had to wash it before I would even think about putting it in cases. The photo I posted earlier shows it shortly after wiping it down with warm water.

Here is the Downbeat Bass after getting all the parts off of it. If you compare it to the finished photos above you will see that the Sparkling Red Pearl Wrap didn't have much of a sparkle when I got it. Also, you will see the outlines of the Lugs & Hardware on the shot below, which all old Kits look like when you get them stripped down. This is not dust but a crusty, crud, that is next to impossible to remove without removing the Lugs, etc......................

264382170.jpg

More to Come / In Progress

Tell me, how do you bring back the luster to a vintage kit? I'm been meaning to tear mine apart and give it a good cleaning, I know how to clean the hardware, but what about the finish itself? If you have some tips I'd like to hear them.

LVDC, For the red sparkle Ludwigs, is that a 8x12 tom? If so, how do YOU tune them? I'm having trouble with my 8x12...

I have never had a problem with an 8 x 12, finding them the easiest to tune. When I have had a problem I traced it to either the head or rim and when the offending party was swapped out the problem went away..................

Keep in mind that on every Drum there is probably a "magic key-rod." If you are turning one that doesn't seem to be doing much try tapping in front of the key-rod (nodal point) on the opposite side of the Drum while turning the one "in doubt" to see what is going on over there. Sometimes you will be turning one and the other side is where the effect will take place. Once you figure this out you can deal with it...............

LVDC

Last edited:
Tell me, how do you bring back the luster to a vintage kit? I'm been meaning to tear mine apart and give it a good cleaning, I know how to clean the hardware, but what about the finish itself? If you have some tips I'd like to hear them.

Wow, I've already hijacked this thread enough and have to get the Lugs & Swivel Nuts on the 16 done tonight so I'm out of time....................

LVDC

I have never had a problem with an 8 x 12, finding them the easiest to tune. When I have had a problem I traced it to either the head or rim and when the offending party was swapped out the problem went away..................

Keep in mind that on every Drum there is probably a "magic key-rod." If you are turning one that doesn't seem to be doing much try tapping in front of the key-rod (nodal point) on the opposite side of the Drum while turning the one "in doubt" to see what is going on over there. Sometimes you will be turning one and the other side is where the effect is. Once you figure this out you can deal with it...............

LVDC

Thanks, I'll try it out soon!

Back