Yamaha Drums

And an LARGE addition to the full Red rig.

Soon some full setup pictures.

Nice to have a 24" as an option , Wes.
I've been thinking of doing the same for one of my setups. I've never owned a 24" before, but it might fun.
Actually, I had a 24/13/18 Ludwig Mach kit for a very short while, but they were destined to be sold for other things.

Neal

Sad day, sold my Yamaha Oak Customs. They served me well but I needed to downsize. Getting older and trying to lighten my load as much as possible. Picked up a DW Performance kit.

Well that experiment lasted two months. Although I liked the DW Performance kit I just missed my Yamaha Oak Customs. I think partly because I just like the Yamaha hardware, mounting etc. So I sold the DW for what I paid for them and picked up a set of Live Oak Customs. I was not sure how the quality would be with drums now being made in China but I am happy to say they are very well made and sound great.

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 585
  • live oak.jpg
    live oak.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 587
I was thinking the same thing 2bsticks. But after I got my Live Customs and practically looking them over with a magnifying glass, I found no issues at all. (As I shouldn't have). ANY misconceptions about the move to China disappeared. Especially after changing out some heads and playing them. I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of them.

Guess what arrived at the Whammin household??..:)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That kit is so nice -- I don't know what kind of glowing descriptives I can use that haven't already been used. Just beautiful.

GeeDeeEmm

An update from my rig with the new 24'' kick and 20'' 90's Brilliant K Crash:
11046302_10206272731996813_8810946481451449263_n.jpg

11043006_10206272199423499_7840867859150235547_n.jpg

11041790_10206272201063540_5647182764345205077_n.jpg

Oak Custom Red Oak finish.
12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 24x17 and 20x17 (not in the main setup/pictured are 8x7 & 10x8)

Yamaha DTX Multi 12 (2x, one pictured here) TP65S pad controller (not in the main setup/pictured are the other DTX Multi 12 and HH65 hh controller)

11048666_10206272202303571_1706890598141861807_n.jpg

14x6,5 Yamaha Custom Stainless Steel, 14x6,5 Bamboo Custom, 14x5,5 Manu Katché Brass Signature snare (first edition, seamless) 13x6,5 Phoenix 40th Anniversary Brass snare (number 16, hand engraved with black Groove Wedge) 10x5,5 Custom side snare (birch/mahogany)

Yamaha hardware (700 series stands, Hexrack and Super Rack Clamps and the DFP9500 double pedal)

Zildjian K:
18'' Medium Thin crash, 19'' Thin crash

Zildjian Brilliant K:
10'' splash, 14'' hh, 19'' china , 20'' Thin crash , 20'' crash/ride (not in the main setup/pictured are a 14'' Mini-China and 8'' splash)

Shure microphones:
Beta 52 (2x one mounted in the 20'' kick) SM 57, Beta 98 Amp (3x) KSM 27 (2x) KSM 137.

Yamaha Custom Red Oak Sub-kick.

Roc N Soc:
Red Nitro throne.

Latin Percussion:
Rock Ridge Cowbell (withouth the red Jenigor strip) stick holder and

Ddrum:
Pro kick & snare trigger (mounted on the 20'' kick and 10'' side snare)

Ears4U:
In-ears in custom see-trough red.

Yamaha MG10XU in ear mixer.

EXA ltd cymbal stoppers.

I'm loving the two bass drums of different size Wes - takes me back a few decades ;) The whole setup looks great.

Question: Why such a big port on the small bass drum. It it to dry it out/focus?

Thanks Andy ���� I got the idea from Karl Brazil. The unported 24" for a big stadium like sound. And when this monster is played you feel the pressure from a distance. Gotta love Oak and this size.

The 20" is for a dancable, punchier and shorter sound.

Hence the big Recording Custom centre hole'd front head on that kick. Although I am designing a custom Red Oak front hesd (with the same wood grain) which will be unported like the big one. Only with small holes on the 20" like Russ Miller & DW do.

I got the idea by Karl Brazil. The unported 24" for a big stadium like, pressure feeling sound and the 20" for a punchy shorter sound.

Hence the big Recording Custom centre hole'd front head on that kick.
Got you Wes :) I'd like to hear your setup. Actually, I'd like to play it :)

I know Karl. He has at least one snare from a certain UK drum company (allegedly ;) ;) ;) Great great player.

Yamaha collection grows again!

Well, ever since my order for a Yamaha MCA in Vintage Black got screwed up a couple years ago (long story , several dozen pages ago in this thread)… I've been on the look out for a natural wood finish kit.

I already have a Club Custom in Swirl Black and I really like these drums. Managed to find a 'new old stock' kit within the Long and McQuade store chain…had these shipped to me - pretty much half price what they would have been a couple years ago. 10x7,12x8,14x13ft,18x14,14x5sn

Pictured below is 10/14/18 - the 12" and the snare got separated (but not lost) from these, should see them next week.
Snare in these pictures is an older Mapex 13x6 maple/cherry.

I have played around with a few head combinations and right now, I'm driving coated ambassadors over clear emperors. Strange I know but I seem to gravitate to either coated single ply or clear two ply resonant heads on these drums.

I am also thinking of getting Stellar Drums to make me a full set of Ayotte style hoops for this kit. Maple with a bubinga inlay. Hmmm….

**edit**I have just switched back to coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors. More tuning range here and a bit brighter too. Bass drum has coated PS3 with a Fiberskyn reso with a 4" hole. Not going for jazz tuning, despite the implied sizes. I use these sizes for any style. Tuning is medium-low. Pictued cymbals are 20" K Con Medium Thin Low, 19" Kerope, and a pair of 14" Zildjian & Cie Hats. They compliment this setup nicely. Overall, makes for a versitile, warm , mellow sounding setup for any gig where volume is an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_1142.jpg
    IMG_1142.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:
Man that kit looks pretty sweet. I've never heard the clubs in person, but I bet I'd like them. I think that's the best finish I've seen on those kits. Really nice.

Yeah, nice looking set. I've had my eye on a blue swirl set on Ebay listed by Drum Center of New Hampshire, but it has a 24" bass drum. Would like a 22".

Thanks! The finish is very difficult to photograph. I had to process the pictures a bit (they were too dark) but that is pretty accurate representation of what they look like in person.

Neal

Very nice set.
I didn't know they made them in those sizes.
Pretty sure it's the first one I've seen like that.

Yeah, nice looking set. I've had my eye on a blue swirl set on Ebay listed by Drum Center of New Hampshire, but it has a 24" bass drum. Would like a 22".

Yeah, I've been watching their eBay auctions on their Club Custom sets and add on drums. I have a black wood 22/10/12/14/16 set that I really like and would love a 20" bass drum as another option. Not willing to pay $1,000 for it, though! :)

They have a matching 8" tom for like $300, but who needs an 8" tom? lol

Thanks! The finish is very difficult to photograph. I had to process the pictures a bit (they were too dark) but that is pretty accurate representation of what they look like in person.

Neal

Beautiful kit, though I'm biased as I have the same one minus the 10" tom!

Yeah, I've been watching their eBay auctions on their Club Custom sets and add on drums. I have a black wood 22/10/12/14/16 set that I really like and would love a 20" bass drum as another option. Not willing to pay $1,000 for it, though! :)

They have a matching 8" tom for like $300, but who needs an 8" tom? lol

I called them up and asked if they would switch the set that has a 24" bass drum with a 22" or 20" (which I saw they have for sale separately), but they wouldn't do it. I probably would've bought it immediately. I remember you buying a black wood set and saw that they have a few of them. Add on toms and floor toms I would imagine are starting to get rare. I wonder if Yamaha will start producing the Club Customs, again?

I called them up and asked if they would switch the set that has a 24" bass drum with a 22" or 20" (which I saw they have for sale separately), but they wouldn't do it. I probably would've bought it immediately.

Isn't that just the typical reluctance of most dealers to do what is necessary to make a sale? Simply swap a bass drum and sell a kit. No big deal. There are many reasons for this. Sometimes it's fear of upsetting management. Sometimes it's a lack of the ability to think out of the box. But, mostly, I fear it's simply laziness. Few people are willing to do the simple labor it takes to unpack and repack a couple of kits. It's a shame. My old boss insisted that his salesmen do whatever it takes to make a sale and make the customer happy. Rarely see that anymore.

GeeDeeEmm

Isn't that just the typical reluctance of most dealers to do what is necessary to make a sale? Simply swap a bass drum and sell a kit. No big deal. There are many reasons for this. Sometimes it's fear of upsetting management. Sometimes it's a lack of the ability to think out of the box. But, mostly, I fear it's simply laziness. Few people are willing to do the simple labor it takes to unpack and repack a couple of kits. It's a shame. My old boss insisted that his salesmen do whatever it takes to make a sale and make the customer happy. Rarely see that anymore.

GeeDeeEmm

Or it may be, as it often is these days, that neither of the kits are actually in stock and will be drop shipped once the buyer purchases them. The practice is common, especially on eBay.

Back