Wife is going to be pissed

While I'm not married but I am dating a musician who is also a drummer's daughter. I'd say she understands gear lust quite well. I fact she splurged and bought me a 16" Zildjian Oriental Crash for my birthday last month. I really need to find her something very nice for her birthday in a few months.

I don't know how this would change if we were married but I'm terrible with finances so she'd have her work cut out for her.

You're a drummer dating a drummer Red? That's kinda rare, no?

Nono, Her father is a drummer, he's actually become one of my drum mentors. She plays the horn and sings and know gear pretty well. It's like dating a drummer somethings because she gets on me when I'm not keeping time or my fills are sloppy. Ahh love...

Yeah....he's an entirely different class of scuzball. Far above and beyond the rest of us everyday, garden variety, run-of-the-mill scuzballs.

I dub him Sir Scuz......King of Scuzballs!! :)

Say what?!

I try.... :)

A man who can lie so brazenly to save his skin does have a certain cheesy charm :) Or it could be that he likes the way my hair is so similar to Weird Al's ... ?

Yeah, it's that hair. I sort of have a thing for that... ;-)

The situation is probably rare, but my girlfriend has been playing for almost thirty years. That's why I rarely receive any flack when buying equipment. She enjoys it almost as much as I do. It was her initial idea to buy a double bass pedal, lol.

Dennis

Cmon you guys, you're giving away our position!

I'm a big fan of seperate money. If I'm making my bills and can afford it, why should I have to ask permission or seek forgiveness? F that, just own it, loud and proud. I can't stand hearing stories of men cowering to their wives for permission to do whatever. At least it retains some value and it's not peed away like at the racetrack. It's a positive force, not a negative one.

+1. At ' end of ' day if I am earning money and paying off all the important bills then surely MY money is MINE to spend on what I want? If i ever get married (which is unlikely) then i am not going to let someone just spend all my money on their stuff. If they want nice stuff then get a job...

When speaking to the wife, the price of your new gear is always either half of the actual price...OR...the value of the piece is twice what you paid for it.

Example:
You just paid $300 for a new Zildjian. When speaking to the wife, either you only paid $150, for it, or you paid $300 for what is EASILY a $600. cymbal. Whatever the case, you just got a smokin' once in a fifetime deal that you would've been a fool to pass up.

You gotta speak their language, my friend.

Good luck.

this is so bizzarely fimiliar to exactly what I do its scarey

That is exactly what I do also along with occasionally adding to the amount I got for selling something.

That is exactly what I do also along with occasionally adding to the amount I got for selling something.

LOL!! I forgot about that part. I'm buying stuff today on the credit for a motorcycle I haven't even sold yet.

The other thing that really helps me out is the fact that EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to the music store, they just happen to be having a 75% off sale. What are the odds?

Another $750 spent on a decent bass and bass amp. Oh god, have I turned into a spending spree monster? Is there an end to this???? I doubt this blip on the radar will go unnoticed.

Yes there's an end. For me anyway. Sort of. I have been satisfied with my gear for a few years at least. Just a few more tweaks. Thicker shells and I'm done. Got my cymbals and snare, I want for nothing there, so after the thicker shells, what's left? (gearwise)

Alas, men there is no end to "getting new gear" as drummers. Wives WILL be pissed.....period. Just keep drumming and getting the gear you need. YOUR WIFE will be PISSED at you whether OR NOT you get new gear. Dude! Get the gear ..................she gonna be pissssssed at U no mattah what. Haha!!

My girlfriend (basically wife cause we live together) always says, you don't NEED another cymbal or drum, you have drums and cymbals. So I say to her, you don't need more clothes you can just wash the ones you have over and over. After I say that, she always says well played sir, and then we go about our day..

We have our own seperate Accounts. It's easier that way. My money I earn is mine and what she earns is hers. Happy Days.

But I do admit I am looking forward to seeing her face when I bring a new kit home soon.

I'd love to do the split the bills thing. I make over twice as much and I don't think her pay would cover the bills.

I save my gig money and use it, along with trading or selling something. Now and again I'll give her a night or two's pay for her to get herself something.....

Another little method I've found that I'm actually working right now is the "bait and switch method"

I just ordered a new splash cymbal that should be here in a few days. If I just go down and add on a splash tomorrow, even though she doesn't pay much attention to the kit, she would probably notice the new cymbal....Busted!! :)

So what I do is rearrange my cymbals NOW, and add a crappy pearl cymbal that I cut down to a splash in the spot where the new cymbal will be. Leave it that way for a few days for her to get accustomed to the new look and layout with nothing new.

Then in a few days when the new cymbal gets here, I just do a quick swap, and there you go...new cymbal slides right in....everything looks pretty much the same. No muss, no fuss.

"Is that a new cymbal?" "No, that ones always been there" "It looks new" "Nah, I just polished it up. Looks gooh huh?"

I kid. We actually have a really good relationship and as long as I get the bills paid, I can spend my money on what I want. Sometmes it's fun to play the game anyway. Just for the challenge.

So I say to her, you don't need more clothes you can just wash the ones you have over and over. After I say that, she always says well played sir, and then we go about our day..

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A man who can lie so brazenly to save his skin does have a certain cheesy charm :) Or it could be that he likes the way my hair is so similar to Weird Al's ... ?

Bermuda...
I actually had a dream I met Weird Al and Bermuda last night... Weird :L

But luckily for me I have no wife or girlfriend because I'm 15. Though my mum does get angry when I walk in with a £367 Sweet Ride I told her was £170...

So what I do is rearrange my cymbals NOW, and add a crappy pearl cymbal that I cut down to a splash in the spot where the new cymbal will be. Leave it that way for a few days for her to get accustomed to the new look and layout with nothing new.
I used to do something similar when growing my own "plants" many decades ago. I'd get pingpong balls, & paint them green. Once the plants got quite big, I'd put the green balls in the foliage for a few weeks. Then slowly I'd introduce red ones until they were all red. Did a fantasic job of convincing nosy neighbours they were tomato plants in the greenhouse, lol!

My girlfriend (basically wife cause we live together) always says, you don't NEED another cymbal or drum, you have drums and cymbals. So I say to her, you don't need more clothes you can just wash the ones you have over and over. After I say that, she always says well played sir, and then we go about our day..

I've never met a woman that gives up that easily. My wife wouldn't buy that line for a second.

I used to do something similar when growing my own "plants" many decades ago. I'd get pingpong balls, & paint them green. Once the plants got quite big, I'd put the green balls in the foliage for a few weeks. Then slowly I'd introduce red ones until they were all red. Did a fantasic job of convincing nosy neighbours they were tomato plants in the greenhouse, lol!

LOL!! Brilliant

I have a few people I can share that one with.

Back