Tony Williams

That pic was definitely taken earlier than 69 ... years earlier

Emergency came out in 69 ... go check out what he looked like in that era.

and he never was a Yamaha endorser ... this is a cheap overseas promo pic

was Yamaha even using that logo in '69?

This photo is highly questionable
This kit wasn't made before 1968 (before 1968 they used the script logo, see my post earlier).|

In 1969 they used the logo on the picture.

The deal with using the backline (in Japan a Gretsch was hard to come by, and flying with your drums was not even thinkable) could be that Yamaha was allowed to use this picture as promo, which has nothing to do with ''cheap overseas promo'', just good business where each party benefits from.

Last edited:
This kit wasn't made before 1968 (before 1968 they used the script logo, see my post earlier)

The deal with using the backline (in Japan a Gretsch was hard to come by, and flying with your drums was not even thinkable) could be that Yamaha was allowed to use this picture as promo, which has nothing to do with ''cheap overseas promo'', just good business where each party benefits from.
Cheap overseas promo 100%

it is a false representation of equipment Tony used and preferred

It isn't false as this was what Tony was playing at that moment the picture was made, regardless the reason why.

So i take a picture of you driving a rented Prius and publish a shot saying MusiQmaN drives a Prius in an effort to sell more Prius ... that's not false representation ?

Man, it's the definition of false representation

Be well

So i take a picture of you driving a rented Prius and publish a shot saying MusiQmaN drives a Prius in an effort to sell more Prius ... that's not false representation ?

Man, it's the definition of false representation

Be well
Unless it would be agreed upon by both parties.

If it wasn't, Tony would have filed a suit long ago.

Yamaha isn't in the business, nor could have stayed so long in the business if they would release false advertisement.

Stay safe.

Tony Williams was God on drums. An inventive genius who was key to modernizing jazz drumming. Miles built his mid-60s quartet around him, and let him burn! Many people at the time were disappointed when they went to hear Miles, saying "That drummers was too loud." Most jazz combos don't like agressive drummers. Tony took a lot of crap from older guys in Boston. The didn't get it. Jackie McLean and Miles knew Tony's genius, and encouraged it. I haven't heard mention of the "Nefertitti" album with Miles. That's a Tony treasure trove. I was friends with Colleen Williams prior to her marrying Tony. She was so happy. So in love. Chatted with her at the Dakota when they came to town. It just brok my heart when I heard about Tony's death. I know it devastated Colleen.

Back