PS3 Vs. EQ3 Reso

AzHeat

Platinum Member
This topic has been discussed a bunch, but I couldn't quite get to the bottom of what I've been trying to compare. I've been running an Evans EQ3 unported reso for a while now. It's a 6.5 mil single ply with 10 mil control rings. For the most part, I've been pretty happy with it, but sometimes, it's just a bit too much boom.

I decided to try a Remo PS3 unported 10 mil with much larger control ring than EQ3 thinking it would tame down some of the boom, while still keeping that nice low end thump. So far, the PS3 has been anything but. I tuned it exactly the same as my EQ3 and it was booing with no low end, so I backed it way down, above wrinkle and it was papery! I figured this had to be an interaction between the PS3 batter and the new PS3 reso, so I backed the batter side down to JAW and got some of the boom back, but the reso still sounded high. I backed it down a bit more and now it's lifeless!

Since the PS3 is the defect standard of BD heads and I see them on most new kits, it just can't be that bad. Has anyone experimented with the EQ3 and PS3 resos? Did you discover the same as what I've written above?

For those who are running the PS3 combo unported, What tuning did you find to be the right combo? I mostly play rock, but I play a lot of other styles too, so trying to find a happier medium than now. The EQ3 just gets way too much, where punchier is king. Before everyone recommends porting, I much prefer the feel of a non ported head, so trying to keep things as is. I may as an option for recording, cut a 4" mic port on the EQ3, but only if I can get the tone I'm looking for in the PS3.

Thoughts?

It sounds like you've tried low, lower, and both sides low. I'd suggest going the other way and bring the reso side up quite a bit.

I'm a PS3 guy. It's ported, though.

I don't know what you're going for.

I can get a lot of mileage from coated, clear, patch or not. Four pretty different options there.

Not sure I'd use that head without a hole. I've quite enjoyed the Ambassadors that I put on several kits at work.

Lately the batter has been tuned higher than the reso.

I'd probably experiment with some tape on the outside and see how I felt about it.

Thanks and wow, this head is really different! From where I'm sitting it's super loud and high. The EQ3 sounded lower. The BD mic on the other hand picks up a low full bodied thump, much lower than with the EQ3. Totally opposite experience between the two heads. I tuned the reso high last night and wasn't liking it, but couldn't lay into it either. It's got a ton more spring on the pedal too, though I've tuned the batter lower than before. My wife probably isn't going to be thrilled with the added volume, but I'm liking it quite a bit through the mics.

Back