Peter Criss

Who really cares, to be honest? I thought he did a lot better than I expected, and there’s no way to really tell from a clip of him sitting in with presumably little or no warmup. But I enjoyed it.

How many kids picked up sticks because of Peter Criss?

I've seen KISS in concert three times. I was in Hamilton ON to see them on their Reunion tour in '97 with Criss on the drums. They did great, the show rocked and when you see KISS you always get your monies worth. They are pros at putting on a show.

I don't think there has ever been a bigger act than KISS. After Alive broke with the hit Rock and Roll All Night the floodgates opened and they were just everywhere. KISS dolls, KISS costumes, KISS Army etc. Then producer Bob Ezrin took over and Destroyer came out and was huge. The sound was less raw but I still liked it. I wonder why it took so long to induct them into the HOF...not that it's a big deal imo. And the staying power of the band was incredible. I remember Peter Criss getting Modern Drummers drummer of the year award once.
On a personal note one Christmas when I was about 16 my older brother surprised the heck out if me with 2 tickets to see them. That was a very hard ticket to get at the time. Did KISS really stand for keep it simple stupid do you think?

Peter was my generation's Ringo. Even though I appreciate what all the other drummers, credited and uncredited, brought to KISS, and I know they're all technically better players, Peter had a swing and a feel that I think was perfect for that band.

KISS was the 1st band that people my age group offered that I listened to and thought, Okay, for the 1st time ever I can get into this music with you guys.

KISS brought me from the musical island of Deep Purple, Montrose or even Leon Russell and Parliament that kids my age didn't even understand, to finally share something music related with my age group. You guys actually brought something fun to the game. Peter playing the opening to Strutter stuck with me.

KISS was also the 1st band that I introduced to the family that an older sibling actually appreciated.

KISS was the 1st band that people my age group offered that I listened to and thought, Okay, for the 1st time ever I can get into this music with you guys.

KISS brought me from the musical island of Deep Purple, Montrose or even Leon Russell and Parliament that kids my age didn't even understand, to finally share something music related with my age group. You guys actually brought something fun to the game. Peter playing the opening to Strutter stuck with me.

KISS was also the 1st band that I introduced to the family that an older sibling actually appreciated.
Strutter is a great song!👍

His intro (and verses) on Do You Love Me; simple but just sooo good. The 8th note "ghost note" on the kick before every down beat. I've never heard anyone play the beat correctly (as written and recorded), including any of the KISS drummers who followed Criss.

Simmons may have been right when he said nobody else in rock swings like Peter.
"Nobody" is obviously an exaggeration but the point is the guy swings and the skill is uncommon among his peers.

Last edited:
I saw an interesting snippet of an interview with Neil Peart a couple of weeks ago. He was talking about Rush's days touring as an opener for KISS. I'm heavily paraphrasing here. He said he thought Ace and Peter didn't survive the KISS machine because they were too genuine, and couldn't operate with the level of cynicism required to deal with Gene and Paul.

Obviously Neil was at a totally different level of technical proficiency, but it seemed he held a great deal of respect for Peter and Ace as people.

I saw an interesting snippet of an interview with Neil Peart a couple of weeks ago. He was talking about Rush's days touring as an opener for KISS. I'm heavily paraphrasing here. He said he thought Ace and Peter didn't survive the KISS machine because they were too genuine, and couldn't operate with the level of cynicism required to deal with Gene and Paul.

Obviously Neil was at a totally different level of technical proficiency, but it seemed he held a great deal of respect for Peter and Ace as people.
Well Ace was right about The Elder album, and the creepy new look sucking, but that's a simplistic way of looking at the situation if you ask me. Nobody asked :) but still...

Back