New Forum at a standstill?????

FB groups have become more mature, specialized, and easier to use. As a 15-year veteran of this forum I'll say those groups are my go-to for assistance or classified needs. For example, if I need to repair a crack or seam issue on a vintage Vistalite kit, the FB group already has the answer with hi-res photos, YouTube links, and responsive discussions. If not, someone will respond within the hour. Same goes for my vintage car. I was an active member of a Dodge forum until a FB community was established for that exact year and model car with thousands of active members.
Wow- had no idea FB groups were so specific, what are we doing in this $h1t-hole then? (JOKE!!)

Having said that I actually came to this forum after being on the V-drums forum for a few years because I wanted something where the discussions were more general re: drums.
Nothing against the V-drums forum at all (you'd be hard pressed to find a better resource for all things e-drumming) I just felt like most threads focused on technical issues rather than drums in general.

Ugh. Facebook is not good (eg. Cambridge Analytical). And it attracts those who don’t care about that. That said, does it have the functionality this forum software does?
I find Facebook terrible at forum-like groups. It is so hard to see all the comments and see what's new. After about 10 comments it becomes a mess. Proper forum software will always win out for me.

Wow, i haven't been here in like 6 weeks... i didn't know about the change? i looked in preferences but didn't see anyway to set a dark mode or a way to make it how it used to look? Is this correct? I like change.. but i think the old forum was perfect :(

Still not as bad as another drum forum that changed awhile back.. can't even use it anymore.. just painful.

P.S. didn't want to make a whole thread to just ask that...

..I find Facebook terrible at forum-like groups..

In my opinion FB is terrible at basically everything and i am not a part of that..

The biggest advantage FB has though, compared to a forum like this, is that at least you (seem to) know who you are speaking with in most cases..

Which can be usefull when you want to decide if any given information is a little worthwhile to take serious or not..

Proper forum software will always win out for me.

Definitely my layout preference too. I get so lost following all the hidden replies on long FB interactions that I quickly lose interest.

Which can be usefull when you want to decide if any given information is a little worthwhile to take serious or not..

Hell, I can easily determine that here by following the content of people's posts. It really doesn't take long to figure out who's been around the block a few times, who is new and in need of help, who is a time waster and who is just full of shit. The ability to go in and see pictures of the last 18 meals that someone photographed before eating isn't going to aid me any further than reading what they actually say.

Definitely my layout preference too. I get so lost following all the hidden replies on long FB interactions that I quickly lose interest.

Hell, I can easily determine that here by following the content of people's posts. It really doesn't take long to figure out who's been around the block a few times, who is new and in need of help, who is a time waster and who is just full of shit. The ability to go in and see pictures of the last 18 meals that someone photographed before eating isn't going to aid me any further than reading what they actually say.
That would make you a #4 right Jules?

:)

I find Facebook terrible at forum-like groups. It is so hard to see all the comments and see what's new. After about 10 comments it becomes a mess. Proper forum software will always win out for me.

I’m another that agrees with this opinion.
I’m using Facebook less and less anyway, and at the risk of sounding like an old fuddy duddy (which I’m most definitely not) a “problem” with Facebook is that anyone can post and the sheer potential size of the thing means you may not have any idea of the worth of a person’s input. Plus even the most strong willed can get drawn into the Facebook rabbit hole and before you know it an hour has passed. On here I come on, look, comment or not, then leave.

Maybe we should encourage "forum members" to, at least, post one thread or a video once ever so often-like every 2-3 months??? I've tried my best to encourage membesr to post videos of their gigs or just them playing-it doesn't have to be a production or long-just sharing. Now with the thumbs up option-at least people may get feedback without any comments LOL.

I agree with whomever said that FB is the reason for the slow traffic here. You think this is slow, you should see the M/C forum that I frequent. It was always (I guess still is) the best site for the Yamaha Vmax, for tips, tricks, help, info, parts, ridin buddies, (to be clear , that means "buddies to ride with" ;) ) etc.. even for good ole hangin out and B/s-ing. I have a FB acct, but have not logged in since 2011, and I don't plan on goin back. Just sucks that everything is moving (has moved) to there.

As an aside, (and I think this goes for most forums, and I'm sure it's been mentioned, but..), there's the situation where new people get.. "frowned upon" for posting a question that most newbs post, like "what's the best _____ for ______?" or, " what heads will I like best?", "should I get brand X or a Stage Custom?" (stage custom is the correct answer, btw. ;) ).
I know it gets old, and people will say "use the search function, newb!!", yet, when the "newbs" use the search function, and reply to said searched topic, the get blasted for "resurrecting a zombie thread". So, It IS kinda discouraging (all forums in general) when you're "new" and don't know all the rules.

And yea, ok, maybe that last para only describes discouraging 1 or 2 people every few months..but, I think my point stands.

JMO
Carry on.

T.

I used to spend MANY more hours here. My situation has to do with having overall time being able to spend on any site such as this - not just this site.

Personally I think the changes here are awesome and the software that drives it exceeds anything FB can dish out for this intended purpose.

With zero stats to back it up, I think the way people are using the web these days has evolved since mobile tech has taken over. It's more APP driven than web browser driven. The changes seem to continue to evolve in that direction so it is what it is.

Interest in this topic I think exists, it's just in how it's being accessed (or not).

Just my .02

May this forum never die because the wealth of knowledge here among the users and the repository of info is second to none for drums and drumming. The people always make it what it is. With no users, there is nothing left.

Your wish is my command Mr. Darth Vater

Attachments

• 20190720_193855.jpg
    20190720_193855.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Big set up 2.jpg
    Big set up 2.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Dos PDP.jpg
    Dos PDP.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 8
  • aged outlaw.jpg
    aged outlaw.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 6
  • halloween drum 2.jpg
    halloween drum 2.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 9
  • huge bass drum.jpg
    huge bass drum.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 10
  • moon kills it.jpg
    moon kills it.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 10
  • motordrums.jpg
    motordrums.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 8
  • yellow ringo.jpg
    yellow ringo.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
Holy crap that huge bass drum is massive. I'd love to hear/feel it.

Well...there is sort of...that feelng that if "Mongrel" posts a pic of his kit....9 will look and 1 *may* comment. More than likely no one will comment.

But, if another certain forum member or three posts a pic of their latest kit the thread will run four pages long with the "oohs and ahhs" lasting for days. Not jealous (in the least lol) just sayin' what I think is true, at least to a large extent.

So it is easier to just not post such things, or video of drum covers etc.

Destroyer77 brought this out months ago I believe when he was posting his covers, and I have seen others post their gigs-I'm talking good stuff and there is pretty much crickets....

Again, not so much a "boo-hoo my feelings are hurt" thing as much as it is a "why bother?" Thing.

Especially if you are getting better feedback elsewhere....

Back