Most Under-rated Drummers

I guess ill take a shot at it...

-Roy Burns- Great big band drummer, he pretty much been as invoved as anyone can be in the drumming world

-Paul Elliott- Played alot with Terry Elliott. Very tasetfull drummer, not flashy even thoght he has the potecial to be. He is probly best known for his drumming with the Shaun Baxter Band.

-Jeff Hamelton- Wonderful jazz drummer, very good with the brushes. Has a way of playing that you can almost feel how relaxed and into the music he is. I could listen to him all day. Played with Lionel Hamelton. Very good.

Another guy that might not have been mentioned is Richard Bailey, the guy who played on Jeff Beck's classic Blow by Blow album and also with the band Incognito. Very tasty player.

Oh yes Bailey is a very tastey drummer and Incognito is a very unique band....real eclectic with their choices of sounds/grooves....can't pigeon-hole them into any specific genre except they just make music....

Did you know Gavin Harrison played with them?

I don't know if they are under-rated but a couple of drummers who blew my mind live are rarely mentioned in "top drummer" talks.

One was Tony Smith from John McLaughlin's One Truth Band. Fantastic feel, awesome technique and his kit sounded as good as any I've heard. (And you shoulda heard L Shankar make a simple tambourine sound like a herd of stampeding elephants!).

Another was Robbie Hirst from Midnight Oil, who I first saw at a Save The Whales concert in the mid-seventies. We walked in durng the middle of Dust when Robbie was going berserk. His speedy fills, tightness, big sound, sense of time, mega energy, huge sweaty biceps ... well, I was in love at first sight! This clip probably doesn't show the way he drove the band live but it will give you an idea of what a kicka*** rock drummer he was - and is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gIIgI8oz4

Also in Australia was a guy named John Annas of the Kevin Borich Express. And let's not forget David Jones, who is a freakish virtuoso - madness! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcgY53Yufo). We've got a few live ones here is Oz ;)

Agree re: Richard Bailey. Loved his playing on Blow by Blow.

A few more tasty players who rarely get mentioned:
Airto (Santana and Weather Report)
Michael Shrieve (Santana)
Aynsley Dunbar (Zappa, Bowie, Ian Hunter, Journey et al)
Cindy Blackman (Lenny Kravitz and various jazz acts)
Jim Hodder (Steely Dan)
Joe Vitale (Joe Walsh)
Bobby Berge (Tommy Bolin)
Kevin Godley (10CC and Godley & Creme)
Michael Giles (King Crimson)

Last edited:
Bill Kreutzmann: Grateful Dead Listen to the stuff he played between '72 and '75 when Mickey Hart was on hiatus. Great stuff.

Bill Kreutzmann: Grateful Dead Listen to the stuff he played between '72 and '75 when Mickey Hart was on hiatus. Great stuff.

Billy and Mickey are both awsome... not under rated in my book.

I think Alan White of Yes is by far the most under rated drummer ever.

Rodney Holmes

Maybe he is a "rated" player but I don't hear much about him.
Rodney Holmes is a player that I love listening to or watching because he adds so much to the music and makes it look easy.

Rodeny Holmes takes the title for most under-rated drummer on the scene. He got fired from Santana and could probably smoke out every other drummer that has ever played in Santanas band. Maybe this is a bold statement, but I feel his hand speed is quicker than Buddy Rich or Jim Chapin.

R.I.P Jim Chapin....God Bless his soul!

Dan Foord (sikTh). He kicked my ass.

I've tried playing along to some of his stuff, and failed miserably. Way beyond my current ability level.

My vote is for Tesla's Troy Lucketta,

He's just as good live as in the studio and also Frank Beard from ZZ Top & Charlie from Anthrax .

Bonzolead

Back