Most (self-)muffled bass drum reso head

timmdrum

Gold Member
Looking for recommendations- currently my rehearsal kit has PS3 front & back, front has a port. Looking to replace the reso because my bandmate's cat got in the drum and got cat hair all over- and stuck in- a piece of acoustic foam I had inside; apparently slept in it. So to prevent a future cat pee issue in my bass drum, I need an unported front head. We rehearse in a pretty lively-sounding garage, and I don't want to have anything inside the drum without a ported head, so what do you guys recommend for the most self-muffled reso head (even if it's actually a batter head)? I'm currently leaning toward just putting a PS3 Suede on, but I wonder if something more muffled would still sound decent. Anyone ever tried something like an Aquarian SKII front & back?

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a way to conveniently block the port when you are not there...maybe put a towel over the front of the kick and attach the towel to the hoop with binder clips?

If you decide to get a solid reso and are not going to move the drum, maybe muffle it with a rolled-up towel against the batter head?

These are the thickest bass drum heads on drumhead authority. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 6.17.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 6.17.59 PM.png
    307.5 KB · Views: 15
I like the idea of blocking the port with something to keep the cat from getting in. Maybe cut out a piece of foam rubber that fits the whole and put it in there when you leave, take it out when you come back.

I would suggest use the reso that will sound best *at gigs* and just lean some blankets or pillows against it from the outside while you’re practicing in the garage.
This.

I don't like to spend money if I don't have to. So any free alternative to get the sound I want that a new purchase would do is always the choice.
I do this pillow trick at live shows where the kick is a bit too boomy. Lean a pillow up against the reso & it's a perfect solution for a short term "problem".

I would suggest use the reso that will sound best *at gigs*
I would agree with this as well, but the OP said "rehearsal kit", so I would go with the other suggestions of simply blocking the port when not in use.
Personally, if the cat isn't actually peeing in the drum (which would be unusual behavior) I would just leave it as-is, unless the hair bothers you.

The DW head with several 1 inch holes around the perimeter might be a good option. Or you could drill the holes yourself into a solid head.

I would suggest use the reso that will sound best *at gigs* and just lean some blankets or pillows against it from the outside while you’re practicing in the garage.
This kit isn't my gig kit, which stays home in the cases.

I wonder if there is a way to conveniently block the port when you are not there...maybe put a towel over the front of the kick and attach the towel to the hoop with binder clips?

If you decide to get a solid reso and are not going to move the drum, maybe muffle it with a rolled-up towel against the batter head?
I like the idea of blocking the port with something to keep the cat from getting in. Maybe cut out a piece of foam rubber that fits the whole and put it in there when you leave, take it out when you come back.
The port is currently plugged with a rolled up beach towel, but the cat might figure out he/she can just push it through and the head is old anyway. Hence, the unported head, but I'd rather get one that's self-muffled to death instead of still having to use a separate object.

I would agree with this as well, but the OP said "rehearsal kit", so I would go with the other suggestions of simply blocking the port when not in use.
Personally, if the cat isn't actually peeing in the drum (which would be unusual behavior) I would just leave it as-is, unless the hair bothers you.
I'm mildly allergic, and the cat isn't fixed because it's a neighborhood cat that my bandmate sometimes lets stay in the garage on cold nights (which is very cool). Since I don't know if my bass drum will become marked territory, I'd rather not take the chance.

This kit isn't my gig kit, which stays home in the cases.

The port is currently plugged with a rolled up beach towel, but the cat might figure out he/she can just push it through and the head is old anyway. Hence, the unported head, but I'd rather get one that's self-muffled to death instead of still having to use a separate object.

I'm mildly allergic, and the cat isn't fixed because it's a neighborhood cat that my bandmate sometimes lets stay in the garage on cold nights (which is very cool). Since I don't know if my bass drum will become marked territory, I'd rather not take the chance.

Ya I would definitely avoid that at all costs….cat urine is one of the most toxic concoctions known to mankind lol. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if it delaminated wood plies and/or ruined any finish

I have a coated Emad on the batter and a coated Emperor on the front of my 26" radio king. Looking back, I would have gotten a coated Ambassador for the reso to get a little more tone out of it. Your reso head can be TOO thick if you're not careful.

Some sort of mesh would seem to be the ticket. Like the black plastic mesh that's used to keep leaves out of roof gutters. It could be duct-taped to the head from the inside so it doesn't show. The air can move freely in & out of the port, but the cat cannot...

Attachments

• 1709572240385.png
    1709572240385.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 3
Throw a handful of jacks (the old game) inside. Or broken glass 😆

Back