Learning a Song You Hate

On the positive side, you won't need to spend a lot of time learning the song :) It may be fun to hit the hell out of the drums once in a while.

I don't dig most of Jane's Addiction but "Been Caught Stealing" is in my all time top 10 songs.

And, yeah. I used to think of classic rock as 70's stuff but I have to keep adjusting my template.

My advice is to keep an open mind. I've learned to play and appreciate a lot of new genres in the past couple years and our set lists go from from Mott the Hoople to Pitbull

I was in a band that played Honky Tonk Woman... and Start Me Up... I'm not a big Stones fan to begin with, but I do like some things in their catalog... anyway I tried to change 'em up to Cajon or Carrib, Reggae, even a Mento beat. Nope. We had to do them in the same old worn out, stupid, azzdraggin' way. But we did them and after a while the "leader" noticed that nobody danced while those songs were sloggin' away.
And guess what... we still did 'em.

My philosophy? If you hear any songs regularly on FM Classic Rock station playlists. Don't play 'em. If people actually want to hear those overplayed, tired, worn out old P.O.S... they can stay at home and listen to their radio.

So... what do all the bands I've been associated with since....do? B-sides and all those great songs that haven't gotten airplay since FM went syndicated. We get great response.

Metal... WWGS? (What Would Ginger Say)... it's to graphic for this forum.... 'nuff said.

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I had to learn "Build Me, Buttercup" to play along with a middle school choir.

I hate the song, but like the drum part, if that is a possibility.
So, I forced myself to listen to the song so I could learn it. Because I wanted to play with the choir as it was something I had never done before and was a bit challenging (I had to play very softly to not over power the unmiked choir). Plus I didn't want to mess up the song and screw up their show.

You wouldn't believe the crap I had to play when I started out playing in nightclubs, crap that was popular back then. But that's how it was done, you're given the tune, you play it down once and it's in the show tomorrow night. You can't say you hate the song, that's unprofessional. It's just another song, one of hundreds you have to play to make a living.

A couple of months ago I had to learn "Build Me, Buttercup" to play along with a middle school choir.

I hate the song, but like the drum part, if that is a possibility.
So, I forced myself to listen to the song so I could learn it. Because I wanted to play with the choir as it was something I had never done before and was a bit challenging (I had to play very softly to not over power the unmiked choir). Plus I didn't want to mess up the song and screw up their show.

This would be my life from January to May most years. But these days it's spent actually sight-reading the piano part while on stage with the group. So far so good ;)

Back