Interesting pedal design

Gibraltar is guilty of issuing a few other products that suffer from "ready, fire, aim" enthusiasm, notably the drum bags that unzip completely to lay flat and supposedly save space. I think those also died a quick and deserved death. Don't get me started on the HH clutch that didn't actually grip the cymbal!
Once upon a time I bought a Gibraltar "UNIVERSAL" hi-hat clutch. I will not fit my Gibraltar hi-hat stand. I just ordered a Gibraltar 3/4" memory lock. It won't fit 3/4" stand tubing. Yeah, I got fooled again. I'll stop there because this isn't the Gibraltar hate thread.

The boa was a much better designed though I felt.

But because it could be set on several levels (I use the stock setting mostly) it caught people of guard.

That, and that it was made out of dw parts mostly (there are even dw logo’s on some parts) but was released under the pdp brand.

As pdp was back then seen as a cheap brand with lesser quality.
View attachment 144319

Which was unfounded for a big part imo.

The dw 9000 rack for instance, was released as pdp branded rack firstuntil they added it to the dw roster too.
Was there ever a DW pedal that utilized any of the BOA’s technology? I’ve never played a BOA, but I always heard that they were something special. (Designed by that noble and Cooley tuning video guy that just passed)

it's a pedal that hits the bass drum as you strike it.. Where's the problem.?
Yes, technically it strikes the head, and probably just fine if you do nothing more than 8ths at a medium tempo. But because of its design - a roller at the end of the footboard that slides/pushes on a bar with a beater at the top - it's very limited as to any playing where you need a quick response from the footboard, such as the occasional 16ths. In other words, good luck playing Walk This Way or the countless other songs with similar beats. And you can forget about any Bonham licks.

It's just not a practical pedal for playing anything beyond 8ths or at faster tempos. The footboard doesn't respond well. I play a fairly steady diet of simple beats, and I couldn't use it.

Isn't Walk this Way a Sample? Well I just went and played walk this way with the pedal. If you slide your toes up toward the beater it responds well for those double actions. It does take some getting used to but so do other pedals with way too many adjustments..

Last edited:
Was there ever a DW pedal that utilized any of the BOA’s technology? I’ve never played a BOA, but I always heard that they were something special. (Designed by that noble and Cooley tuning video guy that just passed)
Dear Mr Bob Gatzen. Responsible for many inventions like the BOA pedal, Drumframe, Cast aluminium snares, and many more.

Good question.

I think it made for a goo platform to incorporate designs into DW's topline like the Machined, and 9000 series.

The shaft did got re-purposed in the Machined line.

Not back then it wouldn't have been.

Ohh, so you're the one who likes the pedal! :)
It's Ok ,i play it now and then ,and you don't have to talk it down anymore..We get it you're a Hater.. or (n)a Karen

Last edited:
It's Ok ,i play it now and then ,and you don't have to talk it down anymore..We get it you're a Hater.. or (n)a Karen

No, just experienced with what the pedal can and can't do. At least in my fairly limited capacity as a drummer.

Would you like to buy a spare Catapult in new condition? Serious, msg me.

Anyone?

PDP BOA was a Bob Gatzen design. It is great actually. I've been using it as my main studio BD pedal for a couple of years now. My alternative pedal is a DW5000.
I want to get the BOA hi-hat sometime, but the BOA pedals are scarce and some people think they are cool (like me), so they can't be had super cheap.

I hear you on the scarce thing. I've had an eye out for one for a while now but they're super rare.

I hear you on the scarce thing. I've had an eye out for one for a while now but they're super rare.
I see them more in Europe.

I had a set of single, double, practice pedal, and hh, all found within a few months.

Then stupid enough to sell them, I tried to find them again.

This time I found two singles, a hh set, a second practice pedal, and a double pedal in a few months.

And it seems like they are priced much lower here too.

I only need a second double bass drum version for a remote kick setup.

Last edited:
Back