(RESOLVED) Help! Stripped screw on beater hub for GIBRALTAR G Class Direct Drive Double Pedal

UPDATE: Gibraltar Hardware is mailing me a new part under warranty so the issue is resolved. Thanks for your replies.

Hi,

I'm looking for any advice on repairing the left beater hub for the pedal shown below: (GIBRALTAR G Class Direct Drive Double Pedal)
1711509369789.png

PROBLEM:
On the main (right) pedal the left beater hub will not clamp onto the left beater axle securely enough to keep the beater in place at any angle. I don't see how to remove this key screw as there is piece keeping it fastened within the hub (Bottom picture). You can see some flecks that look like metal shavings that makes me think it's almost certainly stripped, which is absolutely some High Fantasy Magical bullpucky considering it's brand new and I've never cranked on the thing. Beater3-Top-Left Screw.jpg"

CAUSE (I think?):
I've make sure not to overtighten on all my gear, especially since this is my first double pedal. Unfortunately the key screw on the left beater hub (picture "Beater3-Top-Left Screw.jpg") just turns and turns and is likely partially stripped. when I take the hub off and test tightening it, it will tighten all the way. But when the hub is connected the screw just turns and turns, likely not fully catching on a thread, because the diameter of the axle holds the clamp open just far enough, I'm guessing.Beater2-Bottom.jpg

Question:
How do I get this screw out and fix this?

Last edited:
Looks like a cross- threaded Nylock (self locking) nut on the underside.

I would carefully disassemble as much as I can and drill out the shank and nylon from the underside with a ¼" bit.

A car mechanic should do it with no fuss

Looks like a cross- threaded Nylock (self locking) nut on the underside.

I would carefully disassemble as much as I can and drill out the shank and nylon from the underside with a ¼" bit.

A car mechanic should do it with no fuss

Thanks, appreciate the response. I mean no sarcasm or snideness at you at all, because you are right -- When one of the viable answers to fixing a brand new double bass pedal (aside from contacting Gibraltar) is "take it to a car mechanic" (because this is a totally reasonable solution if Gibraltar doesn't have replacement parts!) then I am very much looking forward to the Trick pedal I have to wait 7 months for.

Is it the one in the bottom photo with the black hex nut? You can't just unscrew it all the way? It looks like a drum key operated screw that is held in by a hex nut or hex nylon locking nut. It's weird that you can't get it out. What's preventing it from unscrewing? This is strange.

Is it the one in the bottom photo with the black hex nut? You can't just unscrew it all the way? It looks like a drum key operated screw that is held in by a hex nut or hex nylon locking nut. It's weird that you can't get it out. What's preventing it from unscrewing? This is strange.

Yes, the one in the bottom photo.

I'm confused about what is strange. The locking nut + a stripped key screw is preventing it from unscrewing. I see (other than a drill or a mechanic) that the internet also recommends using a torch to melt the locking nut.

Is there something I'm missing?

So that clamps the beater hub on the shaft? That looks like an engineering flaw in design. So it won't budge or you turn it and nothing happens-it just twirls? Does it work and hold beater to shaft?
If it's brand new and you can return-I'd return it. Shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
So that clamps the beater hub on the shaft? That looks like an engineering flaw in design. So it won't budge or you turn it and nothing happens-it just twirls? Does it work and hold beater to shaft?
I don't know if I've done something to post inappropriate content and am being blocked (I hope not!) -- Are my replies answering these exact questions in this thread not showing?

I don't know if I've done something to post inappropriate content and am being blocked (I hope not!) -- Are my replies answering these exact questions in this thread not showing?
Sorry I didn't read all your first post-so it's not clamping and not budging. Do you have a pipe lighter or small torch to heat a bit and then put some mojo to screw it out-it looks like it's messed up so if it strips it all out you can then replace screw and nut.

But you haven't responded about whether you can return it since I gather a new purchase of new item? Just leave it alone and take it back if that's the case. It's irritating to purchase a new item and discover a flaw.

But you haven't responded about whether you can return it since I gather a new purchase of new item? Just leave it alone and take it back if that's the case. It's irritating to purchase a new item and discover a flaw.
This, a thousand times over. (y)
I'm seeing your responses.

Sorry I didn't read all your first post-so it's not clamping and not budging. Do you have a pipe lighter or small torch to heat a bit and then put some mojo to screw it out-it looks like it's messed up so if it strips it all out you can then replace screw and nut.

I don't, yet. But I will soon.

Lucky for me Gibraltar hardware pulled through and found the part after some persistence.

Last edited:
Back