Feeling old

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Part 1)
I was sitting here thinking, yeah, I can program all sorts of fancy clicks on my computer, but I kind of just missing the simplicity of programming clicks on my old HR-16.

Or just a simple metronome I could do subdivisions on. But not one with those annoying sounds, but loud enough to hears over at least a drum pad.

Then it occurred to me, there is probably an app for that.

And 30 seconds later I had one of the dozens of the available free metronome apps, which I can subdivide and accent, and set different time signatures on.

Holy cow, how much money did I spent on numerous different metronomes when I was a teenager? And now I have my choice of free apps! Why didn't I just download one earlier?

Kids have it so simple today!

2)
I put on my local classic rock radio station in the car. They played "Seven Nation Army". Holy cow, that's now considered classic rock?

Yeah, I feel old.

I was inputting albums into iTunes to have on my iPod and came across Chick Corea's Elektrik Band from 1986. I remember it sounding so fresh back then. Now it sounds extremely dated (notwithstanding the brilliant playing). I can hardly listen to it myself.

But I noticed the older I get, the cooler I get with getting older. It's just a number and I just do what I do. There are lots of things that still stand the test of time - so what if there are a few things that make me feel old (or worse, make me ask myself "what the hell were you thinking?"). I think I've made the decision of moving forward without looking back as I get up there.

No regrets, I say!

Tell me about it. My son is trying to shoehorn Reason (DAW software) into my brain. When he squints his eyes at me and shakes his head, (often) I can't help feeling very out of touch. I feel like such an idiot. I realize that the way he treats me in those situations...is the same way I used to treat my parents when they didn't understand something. So I'm getting my just desserts for something I did 40 years ago.

Just for the record, when I teach him electrical stuff, I don't squint my eyes and shake my head at him for not knowing something. I am very patient and kind. Lead by example and all that. It's just not working like I planned. It's a long term lesson lol.

Tell me about it. My son is trying to shoehorn Reason (DAW software) into my brain. When he squints his eyes at me and shakes his head, (often) I can't help feeling very out of touch. I feel like such an idiot. I realize that the way he treats me in those situations...is the same way I used to treat my parents when they didn't understand something. So I'm getting my just desserts for something I did 40 years ago.

Just for the record, when I teach him electrical stuff, I don't squint my eyes and shake my head at him for not knowing something. I am very patient and kind. Lead by example and all that. It's just not working like I planned. It's a long term lesson lol.

I here ya! My work with Disney as an “audio engineer” is getting frustrating as new technologies come in, and younger people are hired to use these new technologies. It’s almost like management knows us older guys are ready for pasture!

Just tell your son what we all already know. Larry will never accept or use reason.

I here ya! My work with Disney as an “audio engineer” is getting frustrating as new technologies come in, and younger people are hired to use these new technologies. It’s almost like management knows us older guys are ready for pasture!

Given the recent history of Disney ,I'm surprised they haven't outsourced it yet.

I had a weird one in yesterday on my commute.

Sitting in traffic to get out of the city, dressed in a expensive dress shirt and listening to jazz is not a situation my 25 year old self would have envisioned for me at any point in the future, and here I am. The dorky old guy with the white collar and all.

Hey, at least I can balance that by putting on a dead kennedy shirt and playing some punk rock at unreasonable volumes.

I had a weird one in yesterday on my commute.

Sitting in traffic to get out of the city, dressed in a expensive dress shirt and listening to jazz is not a situation my 25 year old self would have envisioned for me at any point in the future, and here I am. The dorky old guy with the white collar and all.

Hey, at least I can balance that by putting on a dead kennedy shirt and playing some punk rock at unreasonable volumes.

Same here. Granted, I don't really dress up much, work ruins clothes, but swing in the car would have gotten myself laughed at by myself 20 years ago. Funny how we also change with time.

Guess I could put on a dress shirt and blast some Slayer in the car!

Kids have it so simple today!

Yes, and no.

The technology has advanced, but it still takes a creative mind to make music that people want to hear, and hopefully stands the test of time. That applies whether a kid has a guitar in his hands, or is composing with Garage Band on his iPhone.

I've gone up & down with technology, both machines and software, and have even regressed a bit. My peak was probably 10 years ago when I was programming midi in ProTools (which was regarded as not very midi-friendly, but I liked it.) More recently, I have settled into creating tracks in Acid, literally pasting and arranging samples just as they will later appear in ProTools. It's a little more pedestrian than a midi sequence with assigned sounds, but I have more control in terms of production, and I see the visual end product fairly immediately in the process.

Bermuda

Yes, and no.

The technology has advanced, but it still takes a creative mind to make music that people want to hear, and hopefully stands the test of time. That applies whether a kid has a guitar in his hands, or is composing with Garage Band on his iPhone.

I've gone up & down with technology, both machines and software, and have even regressed a bit. My peak was probably 10 years ago when I was programming midi in ProTools (which was regarded as not very midi-friendly, but I liked it.) More recently, I have settled into creating tracks in Acid, literally pasting and arranging samples just as they will later appear in ProTools. It's a little more pedestrian than a midi sequence with assigned sounds, but I have more control in terms of production, and I see the visual end product fairly immediately in the process.

Bermuda

I was referring to

In the 80's
Go to the store
Pay money for metronome
Go home
Discover it's not very loud. And doesn't subdivide.
Go to the store
Get a digital metronome
Realize the digital sound is annoying.
Go to the store
Spend more money on yet a different metronome.
Finally, break down and get something expe$ive
Realize you still can't hear it over your drums very well
But headphone amp, and better headphones....
Etc

Then wonder how you came to own so many damn metronomes!

Whereas today:

Sit at home, download free app.
Don't like app? Fine, there only a dozen more free ones to choose from.

Sit at home, download free app.
Don't like app? Fine, there only a dozen more free ones to choose from.

Agreed, the technology available is great, and cheap.. or free. It's the race to zero in so many sectors.

I have 4 or 5 metronome apps, all free except one. It's super simple, does no tricks, literally just clicks at the selected tempo, and cost me $3.99. But it's also the one I use all the time. None of my free apps let me punch in a tempo. Sadly, the authors have stopped updating it, and it's no longer available as a new download. I guess the kids prefer free over function.

They need to stay off my lawn as well.

Bermuda

Ironicalky, my son just performed a snare drum solo which requires an old-school metronome sitting on the drum. You play brushes around it, then tap the metronome on one side with the back of the brush while the pendulum is on the other side, etc.

We had to search quite hard to find a pyramid style metronome which can ring a bell every six beats, and runs out and stops itself after approximately nine minutes. The phone app version just wouldn’t do.

Here’s a clip of the composer performing it:

https://youtu.be/1htzcRnWPaY

Agreed, the technology available is great, and cheap.. or free. It's the race to zero in so many sectors.

I have 4 or 5 metronome apps, all free except one. It's super simple, does no tricks, literally just clicks at the selected tempo, and cost me $3.99. But it's also the one I use all the time. None of my free apps let me punch in a tempo. Sadly, the authors have stopped updating it, and it's no longer available as a new download. I guess the kids prefer free over function.

They need to stay off my lawn as well.

Bermuda

The free one I downloaded does punch in tempos. Works too.

I don't recall ANY metronome in the 80's allowing punch in tempos. I don't recall that being a thing until much later.

Though none of this explains why KLOS was playing Seven Nation Army.

Just tell your son what we all already know. Larry will never accept or use reason.

I was 36 when I started using Reason 3 years ago and picked it up pretty quickly. The thing I like about it us that there's no one method of using it. You can be as simple or as complicated as you like. Larry's son could record Larry's drumming and then create his own stuff around it. Could be a winning combination ;)

I see what you did there Watso ;)

Last edited:
Just thought Id share, Ive started intermittent fasting and I feel like superman, look into it, highly recommended. May make you feel younger, on many levels. Autophagy gentlemen, autophagy.

Good day

I think the plexiglass metronome makes the snare exercise even cooler

Just thought Id share, Ive started intermittent fasting and I feel like superman, look into it, highly recommended. May make you feel younger, on many levels. Autophagy gentlemen, autophagy.

Good day

Awesome! Continuous calorie restriction myself. For the most part, I feel great physically. People really should put the fork down for a bit.

We were taught wrong all our whole lives. Keep your metabolism going, eat every two hours, small meals, high carbs.....NOPE

2016 Medical Nobel Prize winning research was done on Autophagy. Intermittent Fasting is a fabulous way to tap into it. My mood and energy level are the best they have ever been in my life. The best thing Ive discovered since drums. The best thing Ive done for myself since getting clean and quitting cigs.

Back