AM Drum Parts?

I did not purchase from them, but when I started looking for parts for builds and refurbs earlier this year, they were recommended a couple times. That's all I have. (y)

I did my first snare build with parts and a shell I got from John at AM Drum Parts. Basically, it was a finish and assembly kit - I got a shell that was drilled and edged, so I all I had to do was finish the shell and put it together. This drum has been a mainstay of mine since about 2005.

At another point I wanted to do another project - I don't exactly recall what the specifics were and I no longer have the email because it's been too long ago, so I can't reference it - but I think I asked him to drill a shell, but that had already sourced the lugs from somewhere else. He wouldn't do it - the general gist, IIRC, was that it wasn't worth his time unless I was also going to source the parts from him.

He was super cool to work with on the first project, and he did great work, and the parts and drum shell were all solid quality, but after I tried to use AM Drum Parts the second time and he refused, that was the last time I tried to do business with him. YMMV. I know that I'm not a huge customer, but I have done several other drum builds since then - his loss, because I would have continued to use him had not told me that I basically wasn't worth it.

I did my first snare build with parts and a shell I got from John at AM Drum Parts. Basically, it was a finish and assembly kit - I got a shell that was drilled and edged, so I all I had to do was finish the shell and put it together. This drum has been a mainstay of mine since about 2005.

At another point I wanted to do another project - I don't exactly recall what the specifics were and I no longer have the email because it's been too long ago, so I can't reference it - but I think I asked him to drill a shell, but that had already sourced the lugs from somewhere else. He wouldn't do it - the general gist, IIRC, was that it wasn't worth his time unless I was also going to source the parts from him.

He was super cool to work with on the first project, and he did great work, and the parts and drum shell were all solid quality, but after I tried to use AM Drum Parts the second time and he refused, that was the last time I tried to do business with him. YMMV. I know that I'm not a huge customer, but I have done several other drum builds since then - his loss, because I would have continued to use him had not told me that I basically wasn't worth it.

Thanks for the info. How recent was the second transaction?

Thanks for the info. How recent was the second transaction?
It's been a while - probably 7-8 years if I had to guess.

I did my first drum with him because he had a great reputation. I was doing research into drum building so that I could make a quality maple snare on a mid-level snare budget, and AM Drum Parts kept popping up.

After he refused to work with me on the second one, I sent him a note letting him know I was displeased, but I don't think I ever got a response. I've still got my email archives from back when I still had that other email account - I'll have to see if I can find that exchange.

It's been a while - probably 7-8 years if I had to guess.

I did my first drum with him because he had a great reputation. I was doing research into drum building so that I could make a quality maple snare on a mid-level snare budget, and AM Drum Parts kept popping up.

After he refused to work with me on the second one, I sent him a note letting him know I was displeased, but I don't think I ever got a response. I've still got my email archives from back when I still had that other email account - I'll have to see if I can find that exchange.

Thanks. I wondered if he was still in business.

Thanks. I wondered if he was still in business.
I don't think so. As far back as maybe a year or two ago, I sent a few notes inquiring about parts, but never received a reply. I usually buy parts from drumfactorydirect, but needed something odd that only John had.

I don't think so. As far back as maybe a year or two ago, I sent a few notes inquiring about parts, but never received a reply. I usually buy parts from drumfactorydirect, but needed something odd that only John had.
Thanks for that info. I kind of wondered.

If he's not in business anymore, then why does he continue to have a hosted business website? Eh - maybe it's a tax write-off thing.

Back