Search results

1. Captain Bash

Metal vs Wood - these Snares Sound the Same - Video by Sounds Like A Drum

I both agree and disagree with the video. The shallower the shell the less influence it has on the sound, so comparing a 6.5“ deep metal and wood drums would in my view show greater sonic contrast between the shell materials. However, I do think there is more overlap than we generally think...
  2. Captain Bash

2 up 2 down set-up

Jda, that’s funny I also paid for my first kit by saving my paper round money ( for me in 1985 that was saving £5.00 a week). This eventually bought a four piece Hayman with the gold wrap finish - this was not really in keeping with 1985 as it looked very 1970s. Still I would take a Hayman over...
  3. Captain Bash

2 up 2 down set-up

I agree that 2 up 2 down setup takes up more stage real estate, the kits footprint requires more depth and a little more width than a standard 5 piece. However, I think I will draw a line at 6 piece; no intention of going the full Bozzio and my cars not big enough.
  4. Captain Bash

Home vs gig

I play an old e drum set at home (permanently setup on a rack in the basement) and have acoustic drum sets for gigs and rehearsals. I never play my acoustics at home.
  5. Captain Bash

2 up 2 down set-up

Just thought I would show my latest configuration, 12 x 8, 10 x 7 toms 14 x 14, 16 x 16 floors, 22 x 16 bass drum. Gretsch USA blue sparkle. Bosphorus groove cymbals with Istanbul 30 th ride. Usually play small kits but this is so much fun.
  6. Captain Bash

So what is it with the cheaper snare drums?

I am one of those drummers with an expensive steel snare. In my opinion it’s sounds great, it inspires me to play and it sounds good in pretty much any context across low-high head tension, wires loose or tight, with or without dampening, through a continuum of dynamics. In contrast most cheap...
  7. Captain Bash

Bad products that eventually caught on

It’s very hard to know whether a piece of drum gear that’s been praised in a review is actually going to work for you, because the specifics of the situation it’s used in really matter. The only way to tell if something is roadworthy is to gig it for a year + but reviews come out as soon as...
  8. Captain Bash

Arriving home from a late gig: What's happens at your place?

1. Transfer drums from car to racking in garage. 2. Sit in kitchen and drink a pint of water and just be calm for 5 mins (no music, no food, no screen), sometimes read a book 3. Shower 4. Bed The more boring my routine the easier it is to sleep post gig
  9. Captain Bash

Why do you drum?

Because when drumming I am as one with cosmos, which is relaxing and fun. i also really like playing in a small combo where the interactions make something greater than the sum of the parts.
  10. Captain Bash

Silent stage age: do your drums matter anymore?

Thats ironic the Who can only play with Vdrums, I know Keith would not approve….they should stop.
  11. Captain Bash

I don’t understand you bag people.

I have both soft protection racket bags and plastic hardcase. I use the hardcases in situations where my gear maybe handled by others or in band van with amps and guitars or stored back stage. I use soft cases for rehearsals and situations where I use my own vehicle. The recent(ish) protection...
  12. Captain Bash

Using the stock snare drum?

Bass drum, mounted toms and floors are a family, but for me a snare is more linked sonically to my cymbals (it’s the glue between the elements), so a snare shouldn‘t match it should complement and link land to sky via the sea.
  13. Captain Bash

Flying with breakables

I have taken drums as carry on before (4 separate trips) with Air Canada (London-Toronto and onwards plus return) and not had any issues with over headbins for 14” x 6.5 snare in a soft case. However, there is no way a 22 cymbal case is going to fit and this will undoubtedly draw attention...
  14. Captain Bash

Ride cymbal height

I like my ride angled and slightly toward me and positioned about 2” above my mounted tom on my current 1 up 2 down.
  15. Captain Bash

List kits you've bought, sold, traded & kept

I’ve been playing 40 years and owned 6 kits which I thought was extravagant, clearly I was wrong… used late 1960s Hayman in 20, 12, 16 gold wrap - sold on for…. new Premier XPK in walnut finish 22, 10, 12, 16 sold on for……. used Premier Genista 20, 12, 14 damask red (gigged very hard for 15...
  16. Captain Bash

Not scared of AI but this is something else entirely.

I had my own thoughts on this but then the neural software kicked in and now I think it’s a great idea.
  17. Captain Bash

What Cymbal Post Mount Fits in Tama Rack Tom Mount?

Oh my, what size crash is this for 60 or 70 inches……
  18. Captain Bash

How would you innovate the mounted tambourine?

I occasionally swap out my far right crash for a tambourine (a very old and seemingly indestructible Rhythmtech DS10) from which I hang strings of those little brass bells and any other jingle items I have around.
  19. Captain Bash

What cuts best?

First off I would reconsider, Remo Emperors are indeed a great choice for a balance between initial attack and tone under the microphone. Obviously the sound engineer/recording device only hears what’s coming down the mics at close proximity. Also more attack comes from rims, heads stick and the...
  20. Captain Bash

My ride cymbal weights

Yes, the Paiste DC is-on the heavier side for a 22”, much of the weight is in its bell. However, In it’s defence this and the Johan/UFIP are what I use for situations that require volume. The Paiste DC is great for guitar bands whereas the 30th anni, Zildjian K SPD get lost. If the Ampegs and...
Back