Recent content by TK-421

1. TK-421

Come on, Guitar Center...

Unlike some of the others I’ve seen, at least part of that ad is presumably correct. It looks like a 14x5, it’s probably from the ‘70s and it’s definitely a snare. But apparently whoever wrote that ad has absolutely no idea what a Vistalite is.
  2. TK-421

Sam Ash is closing 18 stores

I just left the Sam Ash Hollywood Drum Shop, and here’s how it looks as of today, March 9. There may be slightly fewer kits than in months past, but it’s hardly a ghost town, especially when it comes to cymbals. And it’s mostly high end stuff, which is why I found it incredibly hard to believe...
  3. TK-421

Sam Ash is closing 18 stores

I live in LA and Sam Ash Hollywood is my primary drum store, so I find this statement incredibly hard to believe. I go in there regularly, and they're jam packed with gear, especially cymbals. And mostly high-end cymbals, like Ks, Constantinoples, Meinl Byzance, etc. I was just there 2 weeks...
  4. TK-421

Tom angles!!!!

Staring in horror at its sideways Tama logo, this kit is both shocked and saddened that it wound up in the Tom angles thread!
  5. TK-421

Do you know any famous song that is 4/4 but in choruses its 3/4?

Mother is a bit more complicated than that. In the verses, it seamlessly transitions between 4/4 and 5/8 (most of the lines that begin with "Mother..." are one bar of 5/8), then throws in a measure of 6/8 at the end of each verse. It does go to a "3" feel in the choruses, but to me it feels more...
  6. TK-421

Norwegians and Finns Eat Dinner Earlier Than Other Countries in Europe

Why on earth is this in a drumming forum? What does this have to do with drumming or music or anything else for that matter? If the mods feel justified in deleting my thread about what drummers say vs. what non-drummers hear, then this should absolutely be deleted as well.
  7. TK-421

I never knew stick length would make such a difference

5A Extreme (in fact, all of VF's Extreme models, I believe) are 16.5". So that's 1/2" longer than their standard 5A. Regardless, as you now know, any dimensional change can make a drastic difference in how a stick feels. For many years, I was playing a Vater signature stick that measured...
  8. TK-421

Difference in Remo pinstripe, PS4, & P77

Years ago at NAMM, I asked a Remo representative about why Pinstripes sounded more open than I remembered them sounding when I started playing in the 80s. He said they actually changed the formula for how they’re made, so they’re now more open sounding than they used to be. I’m not sure what...
  9. TK-421

am i being daft or is this worse??

That "remix" has to be one of the worst-sounding mixes I've ever heard. It sounds like someone who has no idea what they're doing compressed the hell out of everything (especially the drums) and pretty much ruined it. It's almost unlistenable, it's so bad. The song itself is kinda catchy and...
  10. TK-421

Please help me identify/date my Tama kit

I think in general, mass-produced kits don't get serial numbers. That's usually only for high-end kits. Neither my Gretsch Renown nor my Yamaha Stage Custom Birch kits have serial numbers, yet both of my Brooklyn snares and my USA Custom snare all have serials. In either case, TAMA wouldn't...
  11. TK-421

Tonewings

It isn't an oxymoron, it's a redundancy. But those don't have F holes. They couldn't POSSIBLY work. It's the F holes I tell ya, the F holes! :)
  12. TK-421

Shell size - newb question

I'm with Bongoman on this one. Deeper bass drums sustain way more than shallow bass drums. Deeper = boomier Shallower = punchier
  13. TK-421

Tonewings

This has got to be one of the stupidest drum gimmicks I’ve ever heard of. So much so, I bet even John Good is like WTF?? Now think of all the great classic recordings where the drums sound absolutely amazing. Exactly ZERO of those have anything to do with Tonewings. Enough said.
  14. TK-421

Washers on tension rods- do I need plastic/ nylon?

I just bought a used Gretsch USA Custom bronze snare, and the tension rods felt a bit stiff when tuning. I wanted to take it apart to clean it anyway, so during that process I lubed each lug and added nylon washers to the rods. Now tuning it feels as smooth as silk.
  15. TK-421

Shell Interiors

You could try a light sanding to remove any residues and open up the wood pores. Then apply tung oil to seal it. The tung oil will add a bit of a honey-colored sheen to the shell interior.
Back