Recent content by Swissward Flamtacles

1. Swissward Flamtacles

New Gretsch Catalina vs Renown

I take it you don't like my Noble & Cooley snare as well... :cry:
  2. Swissward Flamtacles

Talk me out of Starclassic W/B

Every size? How many drums are we talking about? Will you sell the Renown if you buy the Starclassic? Selling such a huge kit sounds like a big hassle - either you sell everything at once at a huge loss or you have to sell everything separately. In the end, you might still be left with a 24"...
  3. Swissward Flamtacles

Looking for a mid/high level drum kit.

Fair enough, that's a long ride. If you don't want to tell us where you live exactly, that's fine, but don't give up on used sets - there will be a deal eventually. Maybe in France or Portugal, too (depending on which side of the country you live).
  4. Swissward Flamtacles

Looking for a mid/high level drum kit.

Really? Have you checked this site? https://www.milanuncios.com/baterias/bateria-tama-birch-5-piezas-ganga-494214947.htm No idea if you're close to Madrid, but that would be a nice deal. If you find anything close to where you live, just ask for our opinion (we love spending other people's money...
  5. Swissward Flamtacles

Rudiments - Paradiddle and BPM speed goals.

No, my point was that some of the 6/8 solos are really dense and can't be played at the same tempo as other 6/8 solos. I feel like the 2/4 solos are more consistent in difficulty. E.g. Solo 17 is rather easy, whereas Solo 19 at the same metronome marking would be really challenging. So something...
  6. Swissward Flamtacles

Not sure about a book that is specifically aimed at slower tempos, but the "comfortable" tempos for Wilcoxon's AAD solos vary hugely. Some 6/8 solos are quite challenging at dotted quarter note = 70 bpm while others can be played at 100 bpm or faster quite easily. If there are lots of 7 stroke...
  7. Swissward Flamtacles

Kick Drum Pedals That Are Offset

Not sure if I really understood your question: So you want a pedal that attaches to the center of the bass drum hoop (I can relate to that) and have the beater hit exactly at the center of the head? I guess there are two options if your pedal doesn't do that: 1. Get an offset beater like this...
  8. Swissward Flamtacles

Light weight stick with ball tip

If you like the SD2, you might not like nylon tips that much, because maple sounds warmer than hickory while nylon sounds brighter. From my experience, maple tips don't crack as much as hickory. In my case (rather light playing), they wear down more evenly, so maybe a different maple stick could...
  9. Swissward Flamtacles

Hi Auspicious, nice to see you back here! Do you play all those rudiments at the same rate? I thought you were playing all rudiments as 16ths at first, but this sentence about triplets made me wonder if you play the Double Paradiddle and the Paradiddle Diddle as 8th note triplets, because in...
  10. Swissward Flamtacles

Snare advices

I guess you could take a look through the resonant head if you can check it out in person. If you buy online, there are ways to get a refund from paypal. It's a bit of a hassle to send it back, but I still believe that your odds are good when you buy from somebody with a good reputation. Maybe...
  11. Swissward Flamtacles

Comfortable 7 pc kit set up

(Sorry for the GIF, I agree with your point. :) ) I've never liked toms smaller than 12", so no real experience with such a setup, but I'd probably try to move all rack toms to the right, raise the Ride so it slightly overlaps the biggest rack tom and put the 8" above the 10". Kind of like this...
  12. Swissward Flamtacles

Drum Books.................

I've never had such great expectations of a book. All books and exercises are parts of a puzzle and I doubt that there's one book that covers everything. And I know that these guys have practiced and played a ton of different things to get to the level where they're at. There are popular books...
  13. Swissward Flamtacles

Snare advices

May I ask why? Bad experience with used items? If you can look at it in person or ask here before buying online, there's little risk involved and you can save a lot of money. Just from a quick glance at kijiji...
  14. Swissward Flamtacles

Greatest Drummers Who Switched To A Different Instrument.

Phil Collins. [Gah, I should have read the whole thread before posting :D ] Reverse order: Art Blakey played piano before (From Wikipedia: He switched from piano to drums at an uncertain date in the early 1930s. An oft-quoted account of the event states that Blakey was forced at gunpoint to...
  15. Swissward Flamtacles

A Nerdy Case for High Cymbal Placement

Yeah, unless the cymbal is very high (maybe because you're playing a large bass drum with several big toms) it's very comfortable, because you can hit the cymbal and the tip of the stick strikes the cymbal more or less perpendicularly. At least when using French grip / more fingers, it's pretty...
Back