Recent content by brentcn

1. brentcn

Make your quarter note swing....

This is disrespectful. It’s dismissive, more specifically. Adding “all due respect”, right after saying something disrespectful, doesn’t change the disrespect. I’m not saying you’re wrong about your idea. I’m saying your explanation begets confusion, as you have written it. It sounds like “you...
  2. brentcn

My apologies! Wasn’t trying to argue with you, or correct you in any way. Just trying to add to your point. This discussion is so difficult because the terms were so terribly defined at the outset. I’m trying to add clarity, not soapbox. I don’t know which quote of yours to remove.
  3. brentcn

My last paragraph does. Masterful players can be (and often are) not great at explaining things. Teaching ability doesn’t always follow performance ability. To makes matters even worse, journalists and filmmakers are typically looking for memorable quotes, ahead of educational content. WRT Gadd...
  4. brentcn

A proper, double-blind experiment would just be inconclusive. Even seasoned pros would see their opinions differ. Now, we can talk about how to place quarter notes in relation to something else. That would be much more useful.
  5. brentcn

Ding ding ding! Ever played with a newbie bass player with a wonky time feel, who doesn’t quite have the changes down? Your quarter notes, or any notes for that matter, won’t save the groove. Playing with amateurs can be revelatory. Whatever the outcome, it would be a useless experiment...
  6. brentcn

To be fair, you watched an entire band (and a fine one at that), not just Gadd. If a quarter note swings in the forest...
  7. brentcn

Anyone here study with Alan Dawson?

Hi Caroline, Not to de-rail, but can you elaborate on this part, please? What were the forms/tunes you were assigned? Did you trade, or solo over the whole form? Did you perform it in order to move on to the next form? How were you instructed to practice this?
  8. brentcn

Some jazzy Sam Smith cover we do

Nice vocals and horn arrangement! Does the band give everything a N’Awlins treatment, or just this tune? Nice drumming, too! Kicking a horn section is a good time, huh?
  9. brentcn

Stupid deal of the day (FINALLY)

First, $550 is a steal! Second, with the money you’ve saved, you can get these boots:
  10. brentcn

Any experience with Ludwig Mahogany drums?

Yeah, now that I hear them sounding so similar, side by side, it makes me think I should just keep my Super Classics and get something else.
  11. brentcn

According to Bun E. Carlos, you’d be wrong. Just watched a vid on the Ludwig site, where they compare a vintage kit to a new one. They’re very, very similar. A low tuning is not either kit’s best friend.
  12. brentcn

In the DCPM video, one of the players says that the Legacy Mahogany kit is the darkest, and also by far the "quietest" of the bunch. Do you think that's true, between your CM and LM kits? Is it something you notice?
  13. brentcn

Changing rates from triplets to 16ths at slow tempos - how best to practise?

Same. I started to vocalize them without even thinking about it.
  14. brentcn

Changing rates from triplets to 16ths at slow tempos - how best to practise?

Big +1. "If you can't sing it, you can't play it.", or so I've been told. Don't count in your head; count out loud. Your limbs will follow your voice pretty easily. How are you counting the triplets? Reason I ask is that lots of musicians (including myself) were taught to count triplets as...
  15. brentcn

I have ‘65s (22, 12, 16) and yep they have some thump! But the bearing edges are not great, the shells too big for modern heads. That part of my reasoning: I’d like to hear a mahogany kit, built to modern specs. What do you think?
Back