Motivation and age.

Bobbytard

Hi, I'm 23 years old and have been drumming for about a little over a year.

All my life, I wanted to play drums, but couldn't. I grew up in a poor family with just my mother and sister, we couldn't afford a drumset when I were young. When I got up in my 20's I got a job and got into some trouble with alcohol and drugs.
Now I'm sober and want to follow my dream to become a professional drummer.

But the thing is, I'm 23 years old and every day it just feel harder because I'm becoming older and older. Everyday I see kids in there teens and they are about 50-times better than me.

In one year I've learned pretty much. Know to play about 30 songs back-to-back. Gone to school to learn studio-mixing. Learnt alot of other styles than just rock and metal through Mike Michalkow's drumming system. Have a melodic death metal band that we just started. Got 4 complete songs. I've just bought my second drum kit, a Tama superstar hyperdrive and sabian aax-metal cymbals.
Also I've got a daily practice routine that I do everyday. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87674

But it's hard to get motivated because I feel that I'm out of time to become a professional. And I want nothing less. I get really sad when I think about it...

Is it too late for me to become a professional?

Thanks in advance.
/Bobby

At 23, you've got LOTS more time to make a splash playing drums. There's no age limit or barrier, unless you've set one for yourself. It's more a question of if, not when success may happen, and that's not completely in your control. But setting some arbitrary limit on trying definitely guarantees you won't have a career playing.

Just stick with it, pun intended.

Bermuda

Not too late at all. Yes, those lucky enough to have taken up playing very young have a head start, especially in their technique learning curve, but playing an instrument to a professional standard is not a race. Equally, there are many elements & skills beside chops that need to come together to make the most of opportunities that come along. Communication & promotional skills, how you work with others, interpretation, vibe, flexibility, reliability, the list is close to endless. In the end, assuming a basic skill level, it's all about luck & determination.

Stick at it, & don't give doubt a place in your plan.

I'm 35. I have plenty of history as well. I started playing drums 3 years ago. I see no problem with your age. I don't see any problem with my age either.

I wish I was 23 years old :)

To compare yourself with other drummers in their teens doesn't actually mean that your drumming is below their levels, we have all different approach in drumming and different qualities and weakness within our playing, it doesn't mean you haven't got what it takes to become a professional drummer, good and proven technique within your skill as a drummer is not the only factor which will make you becoming a "pro", your personality and character as a person play an immense role into the equation, also being at the right place at the right moment can be the decisive factor to achieve this convoited status.

I agree with Bermuda, you're still very young, so keep practicing, play with as many musicians as possible and build more positive experiences, it will perhaps fulfill your ambition, I had that dream at your age, and although I've never "made it", I have no regrets with my musical career, and at 52 years of age, that "dream" has faded somehow, but more importantly, drumming and music have fulfilled my life, both musically and spiritually. :)

Kinda depends how you define "professional": for me it simply means making a living from playing drums, or at least getting paid a reasonable rate (i.e. not just a couple of free beers after a gig).

There are many ways to make a living from drums that don't necessarily include being a platinum-selling rock god who does 3 world tours a year and has 14 signature snare drums: e.g.

• Teaching
  • Music therapy
  • Drum tech (on the road and in the studio)
  • Function bands (weddings/birthdays/bar mitvahs/cruise ships/christmas parties/new years eve parties etc)
  • Tribute bands
  • Stage/Theatre company bands (i.e for broadway/west end shows like Rocky Horror or Return to Forbidden Planet)

I'm sure other people can think of other examples - but I think the problem you may be having is perhaps how you define "professional". Just because someone gets paid to play drums doesn't mean they're as good as Steve Gadd or Buddy Rich or James Sullivan or whoever you happen to like. After all, look at Meg White or Caroline McKay or Zac Hanson - didn't stop them getting a few gigs.

Maybe one day you'll be as good as Jeff Porcaro or some such famous/skilled/respected drummer and maybe you won't - but if you've got the stones to step on a stage then you could get paid tomorrow. Don't ever let some 12 year old on YouTube doubt yourself - success in this or any other business is only ever going to come from showing up to do the work.

Good luck and HAVE FUN.

At 23 (still young dude) you're much smarter than you were in your teens - right (as most of us are). That just means your going to approach the learning process more efficiently and learn how & what you need faster than you might have as a teen.

Learn a bit of guitar.
Play those drums as much as you can & go to every jam session you can.
Just stick with it.

It's hard. Obviously a fair bit of catching up to do.

I think the trick for you would be to focus on playing with extra clean time and good feel. There's going to be people who can spray a lot of notes around but not cleanly and you can at least get the jump on them.

I routinely bit off more than I could chew when I was young and I wish I learned things thoroughly rather than having lots of half-digested beats and licks.

Since you're only 23 enjoy yourself, you have plenty of time to mold yourself into what you want to be. When you get close to 60, you'll probably wish you were still 23 and learning, lol. I know that I've slowed down a bit over the years, but knowing that, I can still work on it.

Dennis

I'm 35. I have plenty of history as well. I started playing drums 3 years ago. I see no problem with your age. I don't see any problem with my age either.

+1. Shoot, I'm 60 now (really can't believe) and started playing 6 months ago and having a blast, with alot of motivation to exceed. I took up drums partially for the workout (since I've been a cyclist, racer, etc for years). I also like reading music, and the challenge of starting off with good technique. This is all derived out of being a regimented amateur athlete, who practices a sport to look like you know what you are doing. If you have good technique, you may not be a pro, but anyone who sees you play (drums, sports, etc) will always comment on "boy, he/she has nice technique", which is a great compliment.

Unfortunately for me, wish I had started alot earlier. always wanted to, but work and other activities took precedence.

Good luck and stay positive and enjoy.

There will always be better players, but then again you're probably better than others too. I'm currently in a situation where I'm able to play more than I have in my entire life. I'm playing with three bands, including some of the best musicians in my area. I have always considered myself to be a mediocre player, but my drive and commitment allow me to outshine those with more experience and better chops. At 23 you don't know where the path will lead. It hasn't revealed itself yet, so go make it happen!

It's hard. Obviously a fair bit of catching up to do.

I think the trick for you would be to focus on playing with extra clean time and good feel. There's going to be people who can spray a lot of notes around but not cleanly and you can at least get the jump on them.

Pollyanna has given some good advice here. I'd listen to this.

But the thing is, I'm 23 years old and every day it just feel harder because I'm becoming older and older.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LLO LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Pretty much the same as me man.

Im 24 but been playing for 4 years now. I always knew i wanted to drum because id always be tapping things and i always took more notice of the drums in music. My family wasnt able to give me the chance to play the drums but i understand that.
Since i started playing 4 years ago i havent put the sticks down haha

I remember when i was playing for a year, i was in a band and we done a few gigs but when i told the other drummers i had only been playing for a year they were very surprised which put a smile on my face.

I know some drummers who have played for years but arent really that great, they can play good time and some nice fills but they didnt really practice any fundimentals such as rudiments or different styles of drumming.

Just try not to get bogged down with how others are in comparison

But it's hard to get motivated because I feel that I'm out of time to become a professional. And I want nothing less. I get really sad when I think about it...

Thanks in advance.
/Bobby

BTC is right: what does "professional" mean to you? Of the musicians I know personally, only 2 have no other income sources but performing, and they both have the ability to sing lead. :/

The financial reality of being in an otherwise successful metal band (melodic or otherwise) isn't exactly motivating, either. Even this forum's own Derek Roddy has a side business (and he has world-class skills and speed!). I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it with your own band, I'm just saying that your skill as a player won't have much (if anything) to do with the outcome. But you'll need to balance these desires with the desire to simply be in the music business.

If you want to give the metal band your best shot, expect that it won't pay any money. There are still plenty of good reasons to go ahead, though! But you'll need a job, hopefully one that is compatible with small tours. A service sector job is a popular choice (because turnover is expected). Teaching privately isn't really an option, given your lack of experience compared to a university grad, plus there isn't nearly as much demand for drum teachers as there is for guitar teachers (most teaching studios have about 5 guitar instructors for every drum instructor).

If you want to work elsewhere in the music biz, in the ways that BTC suggested, that's fine, too, but you'll need some training, and a music performance or teaching degree would certainly help. Yes, you've gone to school for audio mixing, but you'll still need to work as an (unpaid) intern at a studio to get your foot in the door, and even then it's difficult to find anything more than part-time work. The recording studio business has downsized itself in a big way in the last 15 years or so. Many studios that used to record bands have added film and TV editing to their list of services in order to stay afloat. Audio engineering training isn't quite enough for these places.

Obviously, the more styles of music you learn to play, the more gigs you can get. But it's not enough to simply learn the style. You'll also need to meet musicians that are playing those different styles of music, which is usually what happens when you go music school, and play different gigs.

With drums! There are no standards...no age limits. The only road-blocks are the ones you would set in place...

Thank you all for the kind and helpfull responses! I really feel better about myself now.

When i say proffesionall i mean playing as a profession. It could be anything from a performer to a teacher. I don`t care about fame. Aslong as i play drums i will be extremely happy.

I must say that you guys have helped alot... thank you so much!

Aslong as i play drums i will be extremely happy.

This is the only thing that actually matters. If you make money from it, that's just a bonus.

Everybody knows that trying to make a decent living playing music...you'd have better odds at hitting the lottery...probably a better way to spend your money too...

I play music because it makes me feel good, bottom line. I hope you have a backup plan to earn cash. Because music is a longshot at best.

This is the only thing that actually matters. If you make money from it, that's just a bonus.

Everybody knows that trying to make a decent living playing music...you'd have better odds at hitting the lottery...probably a better way to spend your money too...

I play music because it makes me feel good, bottom line. I hope you have a backup plan to earn cash. Because music is a longshot at best.

+1, started playing very young, marched drum corps, played all through school, played for $$'s until I was 21, then quit playing. Didn't play again for 13 years. Time is a funny thing, it just keeps going; play for the enjoyment and if you can make $$'s great. But have another plan for earning money.

+1: if you love it, keep doing it, practise a lot and maybe you'll get lucky. It sure beats sitting watching tv every evening like a lot of people seem to plump for. I'm 33 and just taken up 2 more instruments (though I started drums many many years ago), and I'll be damned if I'm going to let age stop me enjoying it, and maybe even getting somewhere with it even if just at an amateur level.

Sorry to sound cheesy or cliché, but learning an instrument is a great journey for yourself and very fulfilling, maybe even more fulfilling than the goal.

By day I'm a software engineer, and to tell the truth that will likely always be my main profession (and I'm lucky enough to enjoy what I do, most of the time) - so I would say if you can have a backup plan, it's a good idea. I would love to do music professionally, but I'm at least already fulfilling part of that sentence.. "I would love to do music".

Back