Took a bite from an Apple

One thing I have found really different for me is on my PC I can backspace, to delete to the left, and use the delete button to delete to the right. With the mac the delete button deletes to the left. Is there a way for me to delete to the right with a button on the imac. Hope that made sense.

One thing I have found really different for me is on my PC I can backspace, to delete to the left, and use the delete button to delete to the right. With the mac the delete button deletes to the left. Is there a way for me to delete to the right with a button on the imac. Hope that made sense.

My iMac does the same as your PC with the backspace and delete buttons. No issues.

That's better. :) See, this can be fun and happy talk place. :)

Yep! But seeing as this is a public general discussion forum, with previous posts mentioning computer hardware, and pcs i didn't think I'd enrage your inner hulk, my Canadian overlord master.

On a side note I did buy komplete recently... And I think I regret it. There's too many toys to play with. My film score teacher also recommended me to learn digital performer and he also suggest so many instruments.... My mind almost exploded.

Yep! But seeing as this is a public general discussion forum, with previous posts mentioning computer hardware, and pcs i didn't think I'd enrage your inner hulk, my Canadian overlord master.

On a side note I did buy komplete recently... And I think I regret it. There's too many toys to play with. My film score teacher also recommended me to learn digital performer and he also suggest so many instruments.... My mind almost exploded.
I typed it with a smile on my face. Honestly. I just want to keep it informational. That is all. :)

The same way you described. The use the backspace key labeled "delete" on the keyboard to delete to the left and the actual delete key to delete to the right.

I the larger keyboard with the number pad though...maybe you have the smaller one.
Yes, I have the smaller wireless keyboard. My delete key acts like a backspace key. Anyone with a small keyboard out there?

I nearly bought a Trackpad for my dad, bu I guessed he could get it cheaper. He buys all the computers and stuff for the university. He just took a course in advanced Windows (that's what they us on the Uni) trouble shooting. He hates it... do I have to tell you why?

Apple! <3

Just figured it out. To left delete you hit the delete key, to right delete you hold down the function key, and then delete key will delete to the right. Where is MFB when you need him. :)

I nearly bought a Trackpad for my dad, bu I guessed he could get it cheaper. He buys all the computers and stuff for the university. He just took a course in advanced Windows (that's what they us on the Uni) trouble shooting. He hates it... do I have to tell you why?

Apple! <3
No. Lets keep it light in here as far as hate goes. :) Why were you worried about my snare strainer on my auxiliary snare?

Look on the bottom left keyboard for a key, Fn. Hold this down and hit delete.
Hey buddy. I just figured it out a few minutes ago, but thanks for replying. Apparently that function key is used for a bunch of shortcuts like page up, down, home and end, with the arrow keys.

Question for i mac users. How can I monitor video I am shooting with my iPhone 4S, on my iMac, in real time.

macs suck. they're like pcs but more restrictive in what you can do.

and they're really over-priced.

its funny that people feel liberated using apple products. The apple environment is one of the most controlled and most restrictive with regards to software.

its funny that people feel liberated using apple products. The apple environment is one of the most controlled and most restrictive with regards to software.
This thread is not for pumping up or tearing down Macs or PC's. It is for people with Apple products to share or ask for help.

As somebody that has played with all kinds of systems - from a BBC Micro through to various Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, etc), all consumer versions of Windows since 3.0 and a few non-consumer versions and all OS X systems since 10.3, I can quite happily say that I've been using Macs almost exclusively since 2006. I've had other systems (and my Macs boot Windows too) and that includes up-to-date Linux distributions that I use for my file server. Needless to say, I have a lot of experience of different systems.

Macs do not suck. What actually sucks is anybody the attitude that you display. I doubt you've used a Mac for more than five minutes and guessing by the fact that you claim to be a software developer, you're probably using either Windows or a Linux distribution 95% of the time. I'm also going to assume that you've never spent much time using XCode - which is fantastic. What you don't like is that it's different. Sure, Macs are expensive - they're expensive because they're premium products. I've never seen a PC available in a shop that is as well made as any of my Macs - and indeed very few of the Macs I've come across (and I've seen a lot of Macs and PCs) have had any significant issues. The only 'problematic' Mac I've ever personally used was an old G5 that was kept in a cupboard - that one used to overheat, which is a well-known issue with that generation.

The number of PCs I've owned and used with issues is long. Very long. That includes software issues and hardware issues. The fact that the PC makers cannot realistically undercut the MacBook Air despite the calls from Intel to do so, or the fact that no decent Android 3 or 4 tablet has significantly undercut the iPad on price speaks volumes to me. Macs are expensive in general, yes - but the quality of construction and components is far, far better than anything I see in off-the-shelf PC designs. The MacBook Air is a seriously interesting design and has really taken off - something I haven't seen any of the 'Ultrabooks' do.

Macs are not closed-shops, either. I can put any Mac-compatible software on my Mac that I want to, just as I could with any PC. iPhones and iPads are a different story but from what I'm hearing about malicious applications on the Android Market I'm quite glad that the Apple App Store is regulated. I say this as a long-time Android Phone user.

The number of PCs I've owned and used with issues is long. Very long. That includes software issues and hardware issues. The fact that the PC makers cannot realistically undercut the MacBook Air despite the calls from Intel to do so, or the fact that no decent Android 3 or 4 tablet has significantly undercut the iPad on price speaks volumes to me. Macs are expensive in general, yes - but the quality of construction and components is far, far better than anything I see in off-the-shelf PC designs. The MacBook Air is a seriously interesting design and has really taken off - something I haven't seen any of the 'Ultrabooks' do.

Macs are not closed-shops, either. I can put any Mac-compatible software on my Mac that I want to, just as I could with any PC. iPhones and iPads are a different story but from what I'm hearing about malicious applications on the Android Market I'm quite glad that the Apple App Store is regulated. I say this as a long-time Android Phone user.

I've got to agree with a lot of this. That's one of my problems with Microsoft's stuff is they are willing to support really old versions of there software. Hell XP is going on over a decade and is still in fairly regular use. It's just an opinion, but you've got to be willing to put your foot down and figuratively say, "time to upgrade"; and Vista sucked (needed to be said, one again). Although, Apple (from what I hear) has the exact opposite problem, they're too quick to cut off support for their products. Mind you I've never owned an Apple PC, but I've also never heard about anyone running a 5-6 year old Mac either.

One thing that's got me completely perplexed is an equally spec'd Mac laptop and/or desktop costs more than a windows PC, but when it comes to tablets and phones Apple used to have that premium price tag (they still do), but phones like the newest Nexus and several high end android tablets out price the iPhones and iPads (I think the Nexus was $300 on contract). Now I get it in the mobile space; from what I hear Apple buys their parts and components by the millions so they get a bulk price cut kind of deal. But I'm not sure why the PC space still has the disparaging price tag.

Also, from what I hear a Mac running Windows is the best Windows PC available. The fact that you can triple boot (and more) OSX, Windows, and a Linux distro had me sold from the moment I heard it was possible. I wouldn't mind coppin' a 13" MBA if the SSD sizes/price ratio were a little more affordable; but man do I want thunderbolt ports on my next rig.

I
Also, from what I hear a Mac running Windows is the best Windows PC available. The fact that you can triple boot (and more) OSX, Windows, and a Linux distro had me sold from the moment I heard it was possible. I wouldn't mind coppin' a 13" MBA if the SSD sizes/price ratio were a little more affordable; but man do I want thunderbolt ports on my next rig.

That's actually true. Did before, don't use it right now (no reason to play PC games, when I have 70+ on the 360...)
I connected a Acer monitor to my MacBook Pro yesterday. Great when using Spotify and iTunes. Makes me want a Cinema Display / Thunderbolt screen... but I'm waiting till the Keynote, I guess they're upgrading the 27" iMac this year. Nice to save some money. But on my desktop I think it'd actually look nicer with a 21". Have to do some research

...oh, almost forgot. Apple was replacing all 2004 - 2005 iPod Nanos last year, earlier this year. Replaced my ugly, big ol' Nano and got a brand new Nano. The one that's only a small touch screen with a clip on the back. Great when playing along to tracks. I just clip it on to my shirt. Awesome!

RollingStone:

I run a five year old iMac almost every day. It runs the latest version of OS X perfectly well, although it is one of the earliest Macs that has will run Lion. It hasn't missed a step hardware-wise and I've only ever had minor operating system problems that were easily solved by rebooting into safe mode to clear the cache and then rebooting. There are websites (www.lowendmac.com) that discuss using very old Macs - some of them are using iBook G4s and PowerBook G4s - a couple were even using Pismos that were originally made in 1999 until recently. Realistically, anything that was made after Autumn 2006 is still a very capable machine and receiving regular updates of software.

My Dad got a 2006 iMac just after I got mine. He doesn't use his any more (he has a new one) but it still runs beautifully. About eighteen months ago, it started developing dead pixels on one side of the screen. He called Apple and they acknowledged that there was an issue with the batch of displays that went into iMacs when his was made. They took it back and replaced the screen within a week with no charge and the computer was easily three years out of warranty by that point.

I cannot fault that as customer service.

XP was a great system after they got the bugs out (about four years later) but running with Administrator access as standard was a suicidal move. That's the biggest single flaw that XP has - and it's a very, very big one. Vista didn't suck so much as it was misunderstood by the user as a result of Microsoft's marketing. A lot of computers that were billed as 'Vista Compatible' were only just 'Vista Compatible' and ran it very sluggishly. My brother spent a lot of money on a high-end PC in about 2007/8 and it runs Vista beautifully. Unfortunately, the overheads for Vista were very high for their time and most low-end laptops couldn't run it well. Vista 'Basic' was a joke, too and should never have been amputated in the way it was. Vista was also released with very poor driver support and although that was resolved fairly quickly, it still left a very bad taste in the mouth in combination with the issues I've just outlined. Seven is much better.

Back