How do people get such big kits?

Well, I've only got one picture of my kit, that's when I was playing it, the skins are pretty horrible and the cymbal stand closest to the camera is broken.

NbJVBj.jpg

You should put much more duct tape on these Pinstripes, they must sound waaayyyy too open.... ;-))

Actually, I've got to say, I'm super impressed by those tom holders. They encompass everything I admire in a person. How come you went downhill so dramatically from 15 onwards ;) ;) ;)
I started making money. Then I got a wife that made money, and now I am a spoiled, kept man. :(

I even glued very course sand paper in the pivot area to hold its position. :) I still have them, if you want to borrow them.

Actually, I've got to say, I'm super impressed by those tom holders. They encompass everything I admire in a person. How come you went downhill so dramatically from 15 onwards ;) ;) ;)

I thought you liked the rock riser.... that's pretty recent, isn't it? ;-)

And please Alex, work on those snare and Tom angles.

I so wish I could, but the tom holders are useless now so they just move about freely when they're fully tightened, and I have no space for the snare so I have to have it at that angle to fit everything in properly, I should be moving it soon or moving some stuff in that room which is why I want more equipment, mainly a cymbal or two and maybe an extra tom.

the skins are pretty horrible

New heads and ditching the AVH inspired gaffer tape will do wonders for the sound of your drums. A cheap way to get a good sound that will tide you over until you start working.

That aside, you don't need a million drums to be a good drummer....you just need to learn to play what you've got. This guy plays a matchbox better than most can play a full kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79e9nTKw08w (from 4:15 onwards).

Also, I'll let you into a secret, Sticks can't reach half the stuff on his kit. In fact, some of it's so far away, he doesn't even know what it sounds like.

Stick's kit is divided into quadrants.........each with it's own post code!

I so wish I could, but the tom holders are useless now so they just move about freely when they're fully tightened, and I have no space for the snare so I have to have it at that angle to fit everything in properly, I should be moving it soon or moving some stuff in that room which is why I want more equipment, mainly a cymbal or two and maybe an extra tom.
Work on fixing what you have first, then you can start adding.

You're going to want to do yourself a favor, take those heads off, take the tape off, wipe them with a wet towel, dry them and tune them up right.
Take a look at these videos, you should be able to get your drums sounding, at the very least, decent.
Snare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs
Toms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU&feature=related
Bass Drum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI

Now, not everyone here, including myself, totally agrees with the bass drum video, but it does show you the proper methods for setting up your drums. Muffling and and specific tension/pitch is up to you.

New heads and ditching the AVH inspired gaffer tape will do wonders for the sound of your drums. A cheap way to get a good sound that will tide you over until you start working.

That aside, you don't need a million drums to be a good drummer....you just need to learn to play what you've got. This guy plays a matchbox better than most can play a full kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79e9nTKw08w (from 4:15 onwards).

Yeah, but I mainly do cover songs for Black Veil Brides, and CC (Drummer) has quite a few cymbals and drums:

RWc5JI.jpg

I'm only wanting 1 or 2 more cymbals and a tom.

Yeah, but I mainly do cover songs for Black Veil Brides, and CC (Drummer) has quite a few cymbals and drums:

Do you realise you've responded to every single post with a "yes....but"? Too many excuses for you NOT to do something and not enough concentration on what IS possible or workable for you given your circumstances, I reckon.

I'm only wanting 1 or 2 more cymbals and a tom.

Can you play what you have already?

I'm not criticising mate. I remember all too well being 15 and wanting a million drums/cymbals. I thought it would make me "better" too. It doesn't. My old man used to go to great lengths to tell me so too. My kit was "crappy" and didn't "sound any good" (so I used to say)....right up until he sat down on it and blew the thing apart. The difference between him and me? He could play and I couldn't......nothing at all to do with the 3 piece kit. A lesson well learned for me.

Concentrate on improving your drumming. That's the best advice I can offer. Forget more drums, forget more cymbals, forget all the other excuses that are keeping you from what's truely important. Do that and the rest will unfold over time.

I am digging those tom holders Sticks- should have added a few more to each for the future. I bet if you could go back....

The real advice on how to get a bigger kit is to just find an honest job and work for the money. Theres no easy way. Unless you marry a really rich girl who really likes huge drum kits.

Do you realise you've responded to every single post with a "yes....but"? Too many excuses for you NOT to do something and not enough concentration on what IS possible or workable for you given your circumstances, I reckon.

Can you play what you have already?

I'm not criticising mate. I remember all too well being 15 and wanting a million drums/cymbals. I thought it would make me "better" too. It doesn't. My old man used to go to great lengths to tell me so too. My kit was "crappy" and didn't "sound any good" (so I used to say)....right up until he sat down on it and blew the thing apart. The difference between him and me? He could play and I couldn't......nothing at all to do with the 3 piece kit. A lesson well learned for me.

Concentrate on improving your drumming. That's the best advice I can offer. Forget more drums, forget more cymbals, forget all the other excuses that are keeping you from what's truely important. Do that and the rest will unfold over time.

I've been told I can play drums really well by quite a few people, despite the fact I've only been playing for about half a year. I'm only looking for an upgrade as the songs I try to learn have parts I can't do with my drums, I'm mainly just looking for a China and/or extra ride and 1 tom. Then that would have me sorted for a long while.

If any of you guys need stuff doing over the internet, I'd be willing, if it's a sensible pay, not that there is much, but if had something I could do then that could help me :)

Almost all of us go the full circle when it comes to kit size.
Just read the great "Big kits vs Small Kits" thread.
When it comes to acquiring gear, drummers are like junkies getting a fix.
We always find a way to get what we want!
To some its drums and to some its cymbals. To others its both.
I am just as happy playing my 4 piece Safari Jungle kit as I am playing my 6 piece kit.
Experience leads to wisdom and you find your way when it comes to number of pieces.

Almost all of us go the full circle when it comes to kit size.
Just read the great Big kits vs Small Kits thread.
When it comes to acquiring gear, drummers are like junkies getting a fix.
We always find a way to get what we want!
To some its drums and to some its cymbals. To others its both.
I am just as happy playing my 4 piece Safari Jungle kit as I am playing my 6 piece kit.
Experience leads to wisdom and you find your way when it comes to number of pieces.

Yeah, let's be honest though, 1 cymbal and maybe an extra drum wouldn't be much would it?

Yes but when you learn how to pull many sounds from that one cymbal and one drum...

I know but with my ride cymbal it's got a broken stand, so it crashes all the time no matter what, I'm trying to replace that with a china and move that in between the floor tom and the 2nd tom so it's just flat and won't crash all the time.

Back