Why aren't more people playing BIG bass drums?

I only play 26's. There is nothing like it. I've owned 5 26" drums so far and they all have punch. I tune the batter just above wrinkle stage and it's a bit sluggish to play but I like that it also keeps me from rushing putting things in the pocket nicely. I do use a DW pillow which tightens up the sound but doesn't kill the fullness of the drum. If you haven't tried the DW pillow you should. It is better than any standard pillow of blanket. It compliments the drum.

There is no 20 or 22" drum that will produce the sound of a 26. I've compared them through a large PA, they both move air but you can hear a noticeable difference in low-end pitch.

If I didn't have the ability to carry a 24 or 26" drum around I would use a 22" over a 20" drum.

Sorry boys. The big bass drums put your toms too high, and don't play as nice.

Sorry boys. The big bass drums put your toms too high, and don't play as nice.

I see what you mean. I don't use a high tom at all. I used to have a 24x20 Mapex Saturn and that was sweet to hit hard, had a 50p glued to my bass drum beater to get a decent click out of a Powerstroke 3 (which i think are a bit weak sounding compared to an Aquarian superkick or Evans). Would a 26x26 be near impossible to get a decent feel out of???

I have a dw5000 and will use an Evans Emad 2 double-ply if that helps. Might check out those bass drum pillows too, although i generally disagree with them - feels like cheating.

I played my dad's Ludwig kit with a 28" bass drum until I could afford my own kit, when I did, I bought a 20", lol. The 28" got old really quick. The thing is, after I bought my kit with the 20, my dad abandoned his Ludwigs for gigging and just used mine when he could.

In other words, done that, but not anymore. What's the saying about diminishing returns?

Dennis

I think the bottom line is use what YOU want and don't care what anyone else thinks...

Opinions vary on this topic as much as they do on what type/size of stick to use...

Good luck and as always...post pics!

I think the bottom line is use what YOU want and don't care what anyone else thinks...

Opinions vary on this topic as much as they do on what type/size of stick to use...

Good luck and as always...post pics!

Yes I will! I can't wait until it all begins

Lots of crying and winning about 24" 26", you can cry about the toms not set right, and on and on, but, if you can play..you know exaclyt what a 26 can do. knock the tits of the girls in the front 2 rows..

Lots of crying and winning about 24" 26", you can cry about the toms not set right, and on and on, but, if you can play..you know exaclyt what a 26 can do. knock the tits of the girls in the front 2 rows..
That just sounds gross. I like my women with their breasts on thank you! :)
Remember these are just opinions. Everyone has one, and usually nobody's is more right than the other one. I won't make you use a 22", if you don't make me use a 26" Hows that. :)

Does 24" x 20" count? I've been eyeing the new Ludwig Centennial kits they offer a 4-piece (my fav) shell pack with a 24' x 20" bass drum,12" x 8" tom,16" x 15" floor-tom and a 14" x 6.5" snare for under a $1000 us there have 100% american maple shells,the mini Ludwig lugs,and a virgin bass drum and a laquire sparkle finish(looks stunning).I know there made in Taiwan but I can't. afford a maple classic kit in those sizes it would run about 3-times as much and there still a American company so hopefully there's not too many haters out there.Give you insight anyway good or bad on this decision I haven't. made my mind up yet.

Thanks,
Bonzolead

Im a die hard Ludwig guy, since 64, ive played your centennial , ill call it set, not kit,lol, for the 1$ there great, but hate seein made in china ville on any drum, espically Ludwig, the worlds greatest drum co..1$ well spent..just rip[ the badges off.lol...ever play a black beauty??

Was that ......1864???? thats when all the drum sizes were OVERDONE!! HA! Doc

Im a die hard Ludwig guy, since 64, ive played your centennial , ill call it set, not kit,lol, for the 1$ there great, but hate seein made in china ville on any drum, espically Ludwig, the worlds greatest drum co..1$ well spent..just rip[ the badges off.lol...ever play a black beauty??
Your going to be trouble, I can see it. :)

Boohoo. The first and only kit I had was a 24" which was good. Would like to try the 26" one though. I don't like the sound or look of those tube like bass drums..that's just me though.

I used to play on 24" kicks, but moved down to 22" for rebound from the head and the amount of air having to travel from batter to reso heads, I have much more control on a smaller bass drums.

I think I am going to graduate from a 22 to a 24. On the prowl for a 60's WMP Ludwig 24 x 14.

Larry, I have a 14x24 3ply bass drum and it sounds fan-tastic.

It has such a great sound and feel. Very easy to tune, sounds great with a bunch of different head combo's too.

Hope you find one!

Saw that one already Karl, thanks though. I decided that I want a 24" Ludwig bass drum, for gigging, and also a 20" Ludwig Bass drum for when I need a small kit. Looking to buy one piece at a time, starting with the kicks, complete or incomplete.

What I really hope to find is a 24 x 14 WMP 60's kick, just the shell, for like 100.00. Then I'll get the hardware and put it together.

For my gigging kit , I need a 10" suspension mounted tom. I don't believe Ludwig made a 10" 2 headed tom in the 60's did they? If not then I will go with a the oldest 10" Ludwig 2 headed tom I can find, because I want old wood. I also want a 16" vintage floor tom. I've come to the conclusion that I only need 2 toms, a high and a low tom. I'll get the edges redone on all the drums. I'll have a better sounding kit than my DW's, for probably 25% of the price.

Quote...knock the tits of the girls in the front 2 rows..
But who would want a girl in this condition.?

Lugging one around can not be fun. Bass drum that is.

Back