Like a virgin, Yamaha bass drum plate.

If I decided to put plates over the tom mount holes, I would need 5 as as I have 5 rack mounted toms on this set-up. But my question with Rims is my existing tom holders have the hex rod that goes through the shell. Would the hex rod still line up with the existing middle hole? or will I need to cut them or purchase the shorter type mount used on the Yess set-up??

my question with Rims is my existing tom holders have the hex rod that goes through the shell. Would the hex rod still line up with the existing middle hole? or will I need to cut them or purchase the shorter type mount used on the Yess set-up??

If you go with Rims I don't think it will line up but you never know till you try it?
If you put plates on the old holes you can cut your holders down or pick up some new YESS models off of eBay I have seen these go for about $5-10

I want one like that red one but in BLACK.

Hook me up!

Done...................

DSCN8437.jpg

Here's a slightly different use for the plate. The 14x18's in the Yamaha MCA(N) kits come standard with risers. I hate risers and find them useless, so I removed the riser and mount on my 18"...leaving the nice mount holes. Even though they're on bottom of drum, I wanted to put something in place - when I ran across this thread in a search.

One PM to our friend Mike and BAM!

Plate on bottom of 14x18 covering riser mount holes:
yamahaplate.jpg

The kit (12/14/18...sans extra 16" floor tom that I sometimes use):
yamahasmcanBS.jpg

BIG thanks to Mike for the great plate and the lightning fast shipping!! Super incredibly cool fella!

Here's a slightly different use for the plate. The 14x18's in the Yamaha MCA(N) kits come standard with risers. I hate risers and find them useless, so I removed the riser and mount on my 18"...leaving the nice mount holes. Even though they're on bottom of drum, I wanted to put something in place - when I ran across this thread in a search.

One PM to our friend Mike and BAM!

Plate on bottom of 14x18 covering riser mount holes:
yamahaplate.jpg

The kit (12/14/18...sans extra 16" floor tom that I sometimes use):
yamahasmcanBS.jpg

BIG thanks to Mike for the great plate and the lightning fast shipping!! Super incredibly cool fella!

Wow nice job Chad that is one Cute Little Kick...............
and Thanks for the kind words!

Looks flyyyyy.... But why no riser.. You beater is more in centre so you have the full posibillity of the sound spectrum. It's like driving standard 50km. in a Porche :p

I prefer the overtones one gets from playing off center. I use no muffling on any drum, either. I have had 16" bass drums and even 15" bass drums, with no risers....
It's just a preference I have. Certainly not the popular choice, I know.

These are really nice, and the choices are getting better too. That said, ...2 things come to mind.

1) Wouldn't a darker plate look better on most of the kits, ..instead of 'brushed' ??

2) Why not order a virgin kick ? [not being rude, just asking]

These are really nice, and the choices are getting better too. That said, ...2 things come to mind.

1) Wouldn't a darker plate look better on most of the kits, ..instead of 'brushed' ??

1) "Looks" are all a matter of taste and preference. I like the red finish of mine.

2) Many people buy these kits used (as I did) so they come how they come. Not everyone can afford to order a brand new virgin Yamaha kick. Plus, it's actually nice to have the option of putting the tom mount back on if needed.

Hi - these look like a great idea! Do you notice a difference in sound with one of these?
Thanks the only reason I made myself one was so that I could remove my mount when I used a 1up 2down setup or with a rack. I myself like the look of a virgin kick and do find any kick drum sounds better without toms and hardware mounted to it..........

If I was ordering a new kit Yes it would be a Virgin drum as far as colors go............

kit1.jpg

kick.jpg

Picture206131.jpg

Anyone considered doing a wood plate of thin plywood? I've thought about it for my vintage natural kit.

This one is made of fiberglass, which matched my Blaemire bass drum, before I wrapped it white. Though, I personally like mounting my toms on my bass drum.

Attachments

• 3991657447_e54ee08ca9.jpg
    3991657447_e54ee08ca9.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3,104
Back