THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

bloggs, depends on your budget, but sounds like you need something lika a DW Edge, its maple - gives you that woody warmth & quality we all love, but with brass bearing edges - with give it one heck of a crack!! Like all DW snares it has a great versatile tuning range from a low backbeat machine to a real eyeclosing hammerblow at hi tunings, should cut through your band no sweat. Check out the website & there's usually a few on ebay, I've picked a couple up at reasonable prices.go for a14' x 6" or 5.5"

Happy hunting

Hello everyone.

I have a ludwig cloloseum snare 8x14. i know that its about 20 to 25 years of age. i want to know where can i find out where exactly was it made.

ita a blue and olive rounded corner badge

SN is 3067139

Thanks!

Adrian.

Which one?

Mapex Black Panther 14x6.5 Maple
Vs
Gretch Renown 14x5.5 Maple
Vs
Tama Art Wood 14.5.5 Maple

Or do you have another suggestion for a wood snare around £150- £200?

Thanks guys, Ved

Last edited:
I'm looking to upgrade my current snare situation, mainly for recording. I'm looking at 3 models that I've found used for under $300:

Ludwig LB400B Chrome Over Brass 5x14
Gretsch Hand Hammered Brass 5x14
Pearl Free Floating Maple 5x14

I'm looking for advice on quality/value, not sound. I have yet to hear any of them because they are in three different cities, I'm aware the 2 brass are going to be way more brighter than the maple. Is maple easier to record due to less ring? From what I've read, I'm leaning towards the Ludwig. Any help to narrow down my choice would be great. Thanks!

I am a Gretsch fan for sure but in any event I would like the looks of the hammered brass over the nickel plated brass.

Does anyone know What the point is of Orange Countys offset lugs. I know OC makes top quality stuff and there must be a reason for it?

its actually kinda funny, story i read is that when custom drum companies first got rolling they bought lugs from other companies, when then made thinner snares the lugs wouldn't fit cause they were too big, so they offset them, you can see on some ocdp snares that the lugs wouldnt fit one on top of another. i guess it looked cool so it stuck.

I'm looking into purchasing a new snare within the next week or so, and I've sorta narrowed it down to three... I believe...

I want a nice high crack, sorta like what they use in hardcore and grind... Here's sorta the sound I am looking for... Wait for the groove to get a better example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgLG7qP46vk

So, I've narrowed it down to three (or possibly four) snares. I'm not looking for anything super expensive, either, which is why my choices are a little cheaper, but it'll get the job done at this point.

- PDP 805 6x10

- Pork Pie Little Squealer 5x12 maple

- PDP Acrylic 6x10

Or, possibly

- Pork Pie Acrylic 6x14

Hopefully with the example I've provided you with (if you can make it through it, everybody loves Asian chicks!) you can kinda point me into a better direction than I'm going. Thank you!

bro, you can't go wrong with the Pork Pie!! I had a 4 X 12 black stain maple that sounded AMASING! I used it as a side snare. I had my head up my ...and got rid of it for some other equipment. should've kept it.

Hi guys.
I own I think, 33 snare drums?? Unsure. I've been working at 1 studio where gear is stored so here are some drums from that space. I will be happy to answer questions if any are forthcoming. It is probably better this way than simply me posting impressions.

This is a Brady 6 ply jarrah 14x8.

IMGP5226.jpg

IMGP5228.jpg

IMGP5230.jpg

Black Beauty 14x5.

This is enough for now. I do not wish to hog the thread.

IMGP5288.jpg

IMGP5291.jpg

Ludwig LB442BKTWM Clear lacquer over brass.....

This is a fairly new drum for Ludwig. One of their rep's said only 16 had been shipped so far when I got mine a week ago.

Attachments

• lb442 throw off side.jpg
    lb442 throw off side.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4,463
  • lb442 with logo.jpg
    lb442 with logo.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4,716
Ludwig LB442BKTWM Clear lacquer over brass.....

This is a fairly new drum for Ludwig. One of their rep's said only 16 had been shipped so far when I got mine a week ago.

NICE!!!!! I bet that drum is fat and warm. Is it a limited run?

May as well add a picture. LM 402.

lm402.jpg

Last edited:
NICE!!!!! I bet that drum is fat and warm. Is it a limited run?

May as well add a picture. LM 402.

lm402.jpg

I got the impression that it was not just a limited run, but was added to the line-up of other Supra's and BB's even though the rep said it isn't in the newest version of the catalog, nor was there an official "roll-out". Four prototypes were sold at last year's Chicago show....Bun E. Carlos bought 2 and his friends bought the other two.

You can customize them just like a BBs or Supras...tube or Imperial; diecast or triple flanged; hammered or smooth; P85 or P-86; 5x14 or 6.5x14

Yesterday I put a Remo Vintage A head on the batter side and I like it even better, now

Beautiful new Luddy's guys. I love my hammered Bronze, but am dreaming of the Brass smooth shell. Either in chrome or B.B.

I must ...resist...credit-card !

Back