Ok I'm Back With ANOTHER One Of These Threads...

jondrumming

Hey everyone,

First of all, sorry for wasting all of your time, as this is about the fourth of these threads I have made. Secondly, sorry for being so stubborn, and somewhat ignoring your previous suggestions (especially wloeb and eddiehimself). I now know better than not to trust your experience.

BUT. The fact of the matter is, I have just sold all of my old video games, and now have around $1000, which I believe is enough to purchase a drum set of my dream configuration, which is as follows:

14" snare
8" tom
10" tom
12" tom
14" floor tom
16" floor tom
2x 22" bass drums

However, this time, I am fully open to suggestions on 5 or 6 piece kits, as well. I would, once again, prefer the majority of the kits to be 7 or 8 piece, but if you know of a higher quality 5 or 6 piece kit, feel free to share ;)

So far, I have seen, in this configuration (whether it comes stock in that configuration or if it is possible to add on toms or the second bass drum), for around $1000 (though the price can be a little bit higher):

Sonor Force 3007
Tama Superstar
Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
Yamaha Stage Custom

If you can't stand me, or if you're sick of these threads, you don't have to reply, but if you're willing to help me, please do!

Some drum lines stay around for several years, and others don't. Finding add ons can at times be a matter of ordering and at times impossible if the line is discontinued. Does your buy have to be new or are you open to previously played or whatever the car business now calls used cars. Ebay and Craigslist are the place to look for deals on previously owned drums. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
How long have you been playing? I know two years after I started playing I saw an 8 piece Pearl Export for $1200 and bought it immediately, not knowing anything about drums except how to play them... sort of. All I knew was that it was big and that's the kind of drums I wanted. Looking back, I probably should have bought a smaller, more high quality kit for the same money and just built on it as time went on, but I didn't, and now I play big drums, but they don't sound too great, and now I'm forced into a situation where I have to buy a $8500 monstrosity to upgrade (which I am working on).

Some drum lines stay around for several years, and others don't. Finding add ons can at times be a matter of ordering and at times impossible if the line is discontinued. Does you buy have to be new or are you open to previously played or whatever the car business now calls used cars. Ebay and Craigslist are the place to look for deals on previously owned drums. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely look into used gear, I might be able to get some higher end drums for around the same price that way, eh?

How long have you been playing? I know two years after I started playing I saw an 8 piece Pearl Export for $1200 and bought it immediately, not knowing anything about drums except how to play them... sort of. All I knew was that it was big and that's the kind of drums I wanted. Looking back, I probably should have bought a smaller, more high quality kit for the same money and just built on it as time went on, but I didn't, and now I play big drums, but they don't sound too great, and now I'm forced into a situation where I have to buy a $8500 monstrosity to upgrade (which I am working on).

I've been playing around 7 years. I somewhat agree about the quantity/quality spectrum, which is why I'm trying to find a kit that has the best of both worlds; affordability and size/versatility, all in one.

Good luck with your $8500 dollar kit! That's a lot of money... :p

Well damn, it looks like 1000 dollars gets you nicer drums nowadays, but that was only 4 years ago... hm. Anyway man, thanks on the good luck, and good luck to you as well. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the midrange kits, so I can't help you out.

Yeah, I would definitely be looking into ebay or craigslist there are so many sweet kits both large and small out there due to folks hurting there are some great deals so do invest some time looking in the used market you can get great intermediate kits out there for great prices.

Yep, I'm looking at craigslist right now... about eBay, though, I live in Canada; will the shipping be insanely expensive to ship from the US? Also, is there a large risk of the drums being damaged?

Tell me you're joking about the Pulse kit?

Are you dead set on having two bass drums instead of using a double bass pedal. That second bass will considerably raise the price for the kits you are looking at as well as take up more room on stage in your practice area and in your car/truck/van. You've got a better shot at getting all the tom sizes you want with one bass vs two.

And to echo the sentiments of Harry and Bernhard stay away from the pulse kits!!!!!!

If you're patient you will find something. A store near me has a Mapex M in what you want for a grand-ish. Also, a friend of mine sold a BRX from '94 that was 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 22, 22, 24 for a total of $1,500. The monster kits are out there, you just need to look.

wloeb, i love the stage customs (my school uses them, they sound phenomenal), but is it really worth buying a five piece? in all my research i've noticed that stage customs have some of the most diverse stock configurations available, one of them includes two bass drums, two rack toms, two floor toms, and snare... all of that comes out to... i think it was $1200 or something like that. since bass drums are pretty expensive (normally around 500 for this type of kit), would I really be saving that much by buying the 5 piece and THEN adding on?

my folks dont really like shopping on the internet, so if i ever did buy from ebay, it would probably be a one-time thing. as in they wouldnt want me to pay the absurd shipping fees for just like an 8 inch tom...

i do agree about yamaha hardware, it has to be one of the sturdiest i've ever seen!

right then. now i have another half-dilemma: what cymbals would you guys recommend to go with stage customs? im hoping to be able to get:

10" splash
14" hi hats
16" crash
15" OR 17" crash
18" crash
20" ride
18"-20" china

for under $1000. the hhx super set meets some of that criteria, but is there a different line of cymbals that have similar sound as the hhx's, but for a cheaper price? i noticed that aax's werent very much cheaper, neither were a customs.

anyone know anything about the sabian xs20s or apx's?

I've used XS20's and there are ok, but i'd go for AAX or HHX over them, anyday. It depends on the style your playing. Try them, I think you'll notice the difference.

Ok, I'll try out the HHXs and AAXs, but I think what I'll end up doing is buy the XS20 pack, and then over the years slowly upgrade them cymbal by cymbal until i have a full setup of top of the line Zildjian A/K Customs, Sabian HHX/AAX, Paiste Signatures, Meinl Byzance, etc.

For now, though, I'd rather have some high quality cast bronze cymbals that will last a long time.

Ok, I'll try out the HHXs and AAXs, but I think what I'll end up doing is buy the XS20 pack, and then over the years slowly upgrade them cymbal by cymbal until i have a full setup of top of the line Zildjian A/K Customs, Sabian HHX/AAX, Paiste Signatures, Meinl Byzance, etc.

For now, though, I'd rather have some high quality cast bronze cymbals that will last a long time.

personally if you plan on doing that then just buy what you can afford in those lines then gradually add to your setup. You'll lose money doing it the way you are talking about! I know it's great to get everything you want at one time but if you are sacrificing buying a quality cymbal just so you can buy 2 or 3 doesn't make sense. Get what you can afford in a pro level cymbal, it will sound much better and last much longer, plus you won't be flushing money down the drain in a year when you decide to start selling off cymbals you didn't want in the first place ;-)

Hmm... I suppose you're right. Maybe I'll only buy an XS20 crash, and try to get the rest high-quality. I'm looking at Zildjian A New Beats, those are REALLY good, right?

Back