THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

drummerworld is having problems with pics getting loaded up onto the website, so hopefully i'll get to repost pics of my snares soon.

hey xanadu, i hope you got your member name from the Rush song...not the Olivia Newton John/ELO song! LOL. j/k with you, welcome to drummerworld!

I own these snares:

1. DW Edge 14x7 in ebony finish .... by far the best snares i have ever played....it's got the crack and the body plus the projection...oh my god...superior.

2. Custom made snare 13x7 by Vaughncraft shell bubinga wood in black hardwares.....the dense thick and rich sound of Bubinga will split your ears into two...definetely one of the best 13' snare out there.

3. Premier 14x61/2 XPK snare....one of my workhorse snare for small and medium venues. It is warm and got a very nice tones to it.

4. Ddrum 14X5 snare .... also another one of my workhorse for a very small venue and jazz gigs....it is not my best snare but with careful tuning and head selection i got a decent sound out of it.

5. Custom snare 14x61/2 by Vaughncraft shell purple heart in gold hardwares...Purpleheart got a very unique sound to it....it is warm delivers alot of low end projection...best tuned low to medium.

okay...here are pics of my snares...
pearlsnare.jpg

this is my "old reliable" pearl session series 6-1/2x14. this was the first brand new snare drum i bought with my own money (from drums etc. in lancaster, pa). i've owned this drum for at least 13 years now. i have played many gigs with this, used it on a bunch of recordings and i've broken at least 5 lugs and one snare strainer. i'll keep replacing the parts until this drum literally falls apart!
antonfigsnare.jpg

my yamaha 6x14 Anton Fig signature series snare that i bought from the music store i used to work at. this is an unbelieveable all around snare. i get such a great response from it whether tuned high, medium or low. i cracked part of the top wood hoop (you can see it in the top left of pic), but i fixed it with wood glue and filler...i also have metal hoops for this snare.
firecrackersnare.jpg

i bought this pearl 5x12 firecracker snare to go with a cocktail set that i just sold recently, but i kept the snare. it's the wood shell one and it's a great side snare to have. believe it or not, i've had this one tuned really high, really low, and still get a good sound out of it.
ludwigbirchsnare.jpg

this is my ludwig 6x14 classic birch i bought to go with my black sparkle birch kit. i'm using this one with the Tama air ride system which i really like. it's a very loud snare and i'm still trying to find the head i like best on it.
slingerlandsnare.jpg

this is a newer slingerland 5-1/2x14 studio king snare that i acquired along with a 5 pc kit of the same color. the wrap is cracked/peeling on all the drums except this one, so i'm going to eventually re-wrap the entire kit. but i think i might keep this one the way it is and use it with my ludwig maple kit.
supraphonicsnare.jpg

and last but not least....my ludwig 70's 6-1/2x14 supraphonic. i got this off ebay a couple years back for $125. i don't even need to say anything about this snare...this drum speaks for itself.

5 1/2 x 14" Rogers Dyna-Sonic with regular 20-strand wires (instead of that cumbersome metal appliance that originally came with the drum) and a Remo coated bottom-dot batter.

With fresh heads on that snare has some BOOM to it!

Hey everyone, new to the forum!

Been using a Yamaha custom Anton Fig snare for a few years now, and i love it. Very versatile drum that can sing high but is FAT. Just put a new Evans HD dry batter head on, and it's a bit more crisp than b/4 with the evans genera powerstroke batter. i typically crank the batter up pretty high as well as the resonant side, i love a crisp crack with good snare response. my favorite snare sound is Carter Beauford's, but I don't have the 2 grand that it would take to get that drum. someday i want to get the yamaha recording custom, but the stage has worked well for me.

Any suggestions/comments from more experienced drummers would be appreciated; from people who are into that same type of sound for the snare. Thanks!

Carter mostly uses a Dunnett 6.5x13 Titanium snare. Also a Dunnett 5.5x14 Titanium. They are around $985,- so it won´t set you back 2k. I have one 6.5x13" myself, amazing drum. Of my 15 snare drums it´s the one I use most often.

good snares

14"x8" sonor ferromangan signature (special edition d528)
14"x6,5" sonor designer maple light
12"x5" sonor designer maple light
14"x5" dw edge
14"x5" dw all maple
14"x5" dw copper
14"x5,5" dw craviotto (autographed)
13"x5,5" dw solid (stamped craviotto shell)

the last four are my favourites; the first four are sold.
if i had a opportunity to get another, it'll be a 13"x6" dw edge.

For my first post on this forum I wanted to show off a restored/saved single ply maple Slingerland snare I found in an abandon house on the Oregon coast many years ago. It had been painted with what looked like white house paint, the heads were both broken, no snare and one of the lugs was cracked. I've stripped the paint off and lightly sanded all the marks out of the wood. From ebay I located a lug like the others and new hoops. The finish is about 20 coats of Tung Oil. The drum sounds pretty nice. Someone at a drum shop familiar with old Slingerlands said it was probably from the early 1900's

Drums07-15004.jpg

Does anyone know of a good Jazz Snare? I am going to be learning how to play Jazz and the Steel Snare I have is a bit too harsh.

I only have Tama Rockstars ("purple haze" fade) BUT have held onto my Premier 4" Royal Ace since the 60's. It sounds amazing even though I have only one 10 strand left (takes 2 ten strand). They don't make the wires it requires anymore. I've been offered lots of cash for this sucker but I'll take it to the grave with me. Just sweet, sweet sweeet !

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,400
Lucky fella... The Odery stuff is awesome.

It is a personnal taste but so far for me the best sound achivement I had was with this one ( and I do mean it's a personnal taste).

6 1/4" x 14" x 1/2" walnut stave. It has a very very warm sound, a lot of sensitivity and good volume. I guess I'm a Walnut guy. It maybe not the nicest look for a drum but damm that thing deleivered very nice tone. Next project I'm doing is one in Bubinga and one in Zebrawood, I can wait to hear those

Attachments

• HPIM6976.jpg
    HPIM6976.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 3,363
Just got her a few days ago. It´s a beauty. A Bill Bruford sig snare 6x14 from maple/birch.

The drum came shipped in a box (duh!), wrapped in plastic and there was an additional bag containing what I thought was a T-shirt. It turned out to be a red velvet bag for the drum, with the sign. palette logo. Nice touch. There was another small red velvet bag containing a drum key, again; classy touch.

I started by playing the drum as it came out of the box. It was tuned high and accurately, i.e: like someone had really spent some time tuning it, same tension on every rod. What first struck me was the crack, this drum definately is able to cut through. I found the sound a bit on the hard side so I lowered the tuning a bit. I wasn´t all happy and found the sound a bit harsh and "plasticy". As I thought, it was the Evans G1 head. I changed to a Remo coated CS. It immediately warmed the sound and the CS gave it a bit more focus. I´m all smiles. The drum is lively (triple flange hoops) and woody with lots of crack. I dialled the drum in at a medium high tuning with a very small piece of tape right by the edge. After playing around with it for an hour I found the drum favours medium to high tuning, that´s where it really sings. It´s sensitive (but not too sensitive), very articulate and ghostnotes are crystal clear. Struck dead center it has a strong powerfull voice, "snary" and fat, and speaks with attitude and authority. It reminded me a moment of a brass drum. I can´t wait to record with it.

The looks: for my taste this drum is very unique looking and beautifull. The workmanship is absolutely flawless and I must mention the strainer; it´s so smooth and trouble free, I absolutely love it. It didn´t back off at all, even under very heavy hitting over a period of time.

Attachments

• Tama BB 2.jpg
    Tama BB 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,365
  • Tama kit 008.jpg
    Tama kit 008.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,352
  • Tama BB.jpg
    Tama BB.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,382
And that is my temporary arsenal (cause they are all sold)

Is the shell on he bottom left (under the one with lugs) bubinga or something else?

They all look good.

BTW, Unix, do you turn your stuff or have someone else do it? How big is the swing arm on the lathe? Or how big (diameter) of a drum can you make?
Thanx.

Last edited:
Latz: I'll answer for him.. it's bubinga and he has a 22" bass drum he's working on.. check for the stave set thread

A Pearl Chad Smith signature snare drum...a lovely snare drum indeed. And I'm not even that much of a fan of his drumming.
A really great, versatile snare drum.
CS-1450.jpg

Back