Yahoo.com 10 legendary rock drummers..

Where's the list of top 10 drummers not included in lists of top 10 drummers?

Yep. That looks like a list of 10 legendary rock drummers to me.

Hey, it didn't say "best" legendary drummers or a "complete list" of legendary drummers, or "the only" legendary drummers to the exclusion of all others. It merely implies here's 10 guys (Mo included.....take that sexism thread!!) who are legends. For that purpose, it achieved what it set out to do.

It's a fine list... The writer did recognized that He left off Mr. Baker and John Densmore and others...

In defense of the author, he clearly says
They’re not even necessarily the “best” drummers,...but being the right person for the job.

But where the author proves he hasn't a clue:
Ah, Rush. From his Taurus Pedals to the hundred drums he hides behind, Peart delivered an over-the-top style that was perfect for a rock trio from Canada.
Neil has never played Taurus Pedals. Geddy played the Taurus Pedals.
So much fail.

BUT:
Geddy played the Taurus Pedals.
So much ...
...Awesome! Haha! Sorry Ian, couldn't resist :)

He's such a badass all-around musician that my taste for his vocals (a lot of which I really like) can have no bearing on the matter.

More fail:

*head desk*
I caught that too, I mean, are you frikken kidding me? You'd be hard pressed to find an example of his playing that has *more* subtlety than Fool In The Rain.

But whaddaya gonna do? It's just one of those vapid hack-pieces we come to know and love from the Wizards over at Yahoo! marketing.

Well, he included Ringo and that's good, but no Gadd? That's bad.

If we went to the Introduction Thread, where it mentions favorite drummers, how many do you suppose would be counted from 80,000 members?

Well, it's a list from Yahoo.com according to Rob O'Connor, which is a fine list, but like all these kind of lists, it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, I'm more happy with the list that Bernhard compiled on the drummer's page of DW (in alphabetical order, obviously, there's no first or last in such list)

...the Rock Legends according to Drummerworld:

Tommy Aldridge
Carmine Appice
Mick Avory
Ginger Baker
Barriemore Barlow
Frank Beard
Carter Beauford
Brian Bennett
James Black
John Bonham
Don Brewer
Bun E. Carlos
Gary Chester
Phil Collins
Stewart Copeland
Dino Danelli
John Densmore
Brian Downey
Aynsley Dunbar
Sly Dunbar
Phil Ehart
Mick Fleetwood
Steve Gadd
David Garibaldi
Dave Grohl
Mickey Hart
Roger Hawkins
Richie Hayward
Levon Helm
Jon Hiseman
Gene Hoglan
Tris Imboden
Joey Kramer
Nick Mason
Buddy Miles
Mitch Mitchell
Joseph Zigaboo Modeliste
Keith Moon
Sandy Nelson
Nigel Olsson
Ian Paice
Carl Palmer
Neil Peart
Simon Phillips
Jeff Porcaro
Mike Portnoy
Cozy Powell
Ringo
Phil Rudd
Denny Seiwell
Danny Seraphine
Michael Shrieve
Eric Singer
Matt Sorum
John "Jabo“ Starks
Ringo Starr
Clyde Stubblefield
Mel Taylor
Roger Taylor
Tico Torres
Bill Ward
Charlie Watts
Max Weinberg
Alan White

... oops, no Mo Tucker on DW's list :)

Drummerworld's Rock Legends list ... is the greatest list ever compiled and shown, besides supported by an updating Wish list!

What a fantastic list! It lived up to all my expectations of a top 10 list ;)

Oh no....... you didn't.Didn't Bernard Purdy play on all of those studio recording?Just ask him.....book and movie deal to follow.:)

BTW...the author Rob O'Connor,...is an idiot.

Steve B

I can't stand lists such as these, "ranking" musicians as if they're prizefighters or something.

And yet I always take the bait and read them. Kind of like opening the milk carton past the expiration date and smelling the milk anyway before dumping it out. You already know that it's no good, but regardless you don't stop yourself.

Back