Looking for new kit with vintage sound?

MadmanMoon

I am currently looking to replace my 1970's Slingerland Red Sparkle drum kit. I am looking for a three piece 20/12/16 or 20/13/16. I've been outta the loop as far as newer companies go, but would like to hear some other thoughts on a vintage sounding kit. I like the warm round tone of my Slingerland's but I am ready to find a new set. I am open to new or old as well as any brands that are worth while. I am trying to spend between 400-900 so I know that limits my search but let me know what the community has to say. Thanks.

Unless you buy used, you'll be fairly limited by your budget and need to buy an imported kit. I'm not sure what some of the Asian budget lines include, but Ludwig's Club Date series has roundover edges for a vintage sound, and they're well within your price range. I do suggest hearing them and everything else first though, if you've got a sound in your head, you need to make sure you get the right drums.

If budget wasn't a consideration, there'd be several options for you from just about every company.

Bermuda

Modern drums are pretty much unprecedented in terms of quality. High end lines are still as good or better than ever, but with a staggering, and at times overwhelming number of options. Of course with all of the innovative shells, exceptional hardware, and mind blowing finishes comes a very hefty price tag. The good news is that drums in your price range are at an all time high for quality and features as well. The bad news is that they probably wont sound nearly as good as your old Slingy. Which, like Bermuda said, leaves you in the used equipment category and that can take some patience and limit your choice of brands, finish, and sizes. Very good drum sets do hit the market in that price range though. Pearl Masters, Gretsch Reknown, PDP CX/MX/LX or Platinum (the ones Made in Ensenada B.C.), Tama Starclassics are all brands and models that I would have a good amount of confidence in. Very rarely a DW Collectors will drop into that range, again very high quality. Of all the kits I listed, the Reknown probably best fits the description of "vintage sound".

Selling a vintage kit?
Looking for a replacement vintage kit?

G.A.S. has hit you hard.

What is vintage? Is it 3-ply maple or birch, 35 degree bearing edges, single ply heads, and squeak-king pedals?

The drums do sound very vintage-y. I've got 18/12/14, and 22/13/16 Club Date kits, and they're my most vintage sounding new drums.

But with due respect to Jim and his very cool shop, that price is a bit high. There are probably some used kits around for significantly less money.

My only suggestion regarding the Club Dates is to consider a different snare. They're fine, but with the same roundover edge as the kick & toms, they're not quite as crisp and bright as you might want. In keeping with the budget allotted, a '70s Acrolite for $100 would be a smart addition.

Bermuda

Hmmm... 400-900...

Ludwig Club Date
Gretsch New Classic (you can find new-on-clearance for $900 if you're patient)

Thank you all for the great and timely responses. I think at this point I'm just going to continue scouring the internet. Honestly I have no qualms with used, but I was searching drums yesterday and saw some really phenomenal kits and thought, I could have that kit for 30 years and still be pumped. I noticed a really nice Sakae kit in a mint oyster color that was breathtaking and some other custom drums, all out of my price range but still fun to look. I really love the sound of my drums but I've just got the itch to get a new kit. Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll keep you posted when I finally find "the one."

Club dates get my vote in that price range. If you want to do a bit better, look at C&C or George Way sets.

As an owner of a 2012 Club Date kit and I also recommend them. I gig my Club Date kit frequently rather than take my vintage drums out of the house.
I Made some minor changes by eliminating the stock rail mount and changing it for a classic Ludwig telescoping mount. I also ditched the stock suspension mount and I went with a classic ludwig shell mount. Here is a thread that I started about it. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117796

I'm curious where you can find New Classics for that price? I've seen NOS Renown kits for under $1000, but not New Classics.

About 6 months ago, there was some huge blowout clearance. New NCs in bop configs were going for as low as $800. You occasionally find clearance kits. I usually just hit google/shopping to find them.

http://www.puresoundshop.com/product/?id=1060485

^Example of $1000 NC -- I have no affiliation, and no idea if they're even a legit shop.

About 6 months ago, there was some huge blowout clearance. New NCs in bop configs were going for as low as $800.

Except, a new bop kit isn't going to deliver the '70s rock sound of the Slingerlands. Madman is looking for 20" kick, 12 or 13" tom, and 16" floor.

FYI, the desired sizes may be tricky to find in a stock outfit. The Club Date series doesn't offer it, the nearest configurations are 22/13/16, or 20/12/14.

:(

Bermuda

You could start learning the luthier trade. Take some pre-sized shells (Keller perhaps), a nice sheet of glass (for leveling), a drum layout grid (mat), and a few basic tools. Wha-lah! A drum builder is born.

You could start learning the luthier trade. Take some pre-sized shells (Keller perhaps), a nice sheet of glass (for leveling), a drum layout grid (mat), and a few basic tools. Wha-lah! A drum builder is born.
You have no idea how close to reality that is sometimes. Bolt on a hobby router table, Asian hardware catalogue, & online badge maker, & you're there! (& yes, I know a piece of glass is a really poor surface plate for checking bearing edges, not that it matters of course ;) ;) ;)

I've actually considered building a kit. I do have a basement and tools. I'm looking for a kit with a nice round warm tone, kinda like Elvin Jones sound when he played with Coltrane on all those unbelievable records before he passed away. I've seen him use Premier kits which I am in favor of, being a Keith Moon fan. Not sure the type of wood was used, i'm guessing maybe Maple or Mahogany, I could be wrong?

I've actually considered building a kit. I do have a basement and tools. I'm looking for a kit with a nice round warm tone, kinda like Elvin Jones sound when he played with Coltrane on all those unbelievable records before he passed away. I've seen him use Premier kits which I am in favor of, being a Keith Moon fan. Not sure the type of wood was used, i'm guessing maybe Maple or Mahogany, I could be wrong?
In many cases, & certainly until you get down to 3 plies or less, the exact wood species is a fairly small part of the equation - tuning, playing style, & recording environment being the big three.

When judging which elements/features will get you towards a certain sound that is within your control, consider this. The best you can do is to lay a foundation. The rest is all made up of elements that mostly exist in a moment of time.

Ultimately, it's the sum of features within a focussed design that differentiate between the generic & the specific character instruments. Examine what the key elements are, & seek to find either a builder who truly understands the affect of element combinations, or an existing product that already embraces those elements in appropriate proportion. Individual features/elements are meaningless in isolation. Although you can get so far by building yourself using off the shelf components, without considerable depth of experience, you'll undoubtedly miss out on the finer points that punch well above their weight.

Them old Premier kits are either birch or mahogany, both with beech reinforcement hoops. I have a 60's birch kit, and I've also played a mahogany version in my practice room many times. They are suprisingly similar in sound. Shell construction and bearing edges seem to make most of the character.

When you say shell construction and bearing edges make up most of the sound, what are some examples? I play different styles of music (rock, funk, heavy, jazz). I am looking to find a kit with a 60's jazz sound. I know the kits people used, but what would the construction and bearing edges be considered on those drum sets. I want a warm round tone, what can I look for to achieve that sound?

Back