Business cards.

lsits

Gold Member
A quick question for the professional and semi-professionals out there. Where do you order your business cards from? I've been checking online and the designs that are drum themed are are not very plentiful and, in my opinion, pretty lame. I'm looking for a simple design that tells people that I'm a drummer just by glancing at the card. I suppose I could download a photo, but you might say I'm graphically challenged. Any suggestions?

A quick question for the professional and semi-professionals out there. Where do you order your business cards from? I've been checking online and the designs that are drum themed are are not very plentiful and, in my opinion, pretty lame. I'm looking for a simple design that tells people that I'm a drummer just by glancing at the card. I suppose I could download a photo, but you might say I'm graphically challenged. Any suggestions?

Usually go with Vistaprint because they are cheap. Besides, nowadays everyone just inputs the # straight into their phone...

But if you're wanting to create a business card, there's plenty of online photo editing software to get you started on designing your card.

https://pixlr.com/editor/

Upload your own photo

I don't care about cheap. I support local print shops. You can find a local shop that can do anything you want.

I ask the guy next to me if he has a business card, then take a pen, scratch out that guys info and write my stuff on the back, then hand that to the guy who wants my number ;)

I don't care about cheap. I support local print shops. You can find a local shop that can do anything you want.

Yes, good on ya! I only said "Vistaprint" because that's what everyone these days seems to be about, finding something pennies less than their local counterparts.

...and that's kinda why San Diego does not have a drum shop. 3+ million folks and the closest thing that resembles a proper one is Pro Drum in Hollywood. 100+ miles away.

I ask the guy next to me if he has a business card, then take a pen, scratch out that guys info and write my stuff on the back, then hand that to the guy who wants my number ;)

...which reminds me of why you should always have someone elses business card in your wallet when playing golf. When that errant shot breaks a condo window or car windshield, you apologise and hand the complainer a random card and tell them to call you at the office to work out the details.

Geez Louise you guys are evil.

If you want to use a local printer... Google 'local printers' :)

As for designs, I've used Vista Print and other online printers' websites to design the card in their editor, and then saved the finished image as a .jpg or similar to either print myself or send to local guys, depending on how many I want.

I never really liked the drum-based template designs on those sites either, so I just use text- it keeps the design simple and clear!

Hope that helps!

I've designed and printed my own. But then, I'm a graphic designer.

What do you guys think about printing cards on my ink jet printer? Too cheesy?

Not cheesy, but don't use the perfed business card sheets, it's a bit obvious. Get some 110 lb card stock - available in lots of cool colors - and print your own. You'll get 10-up on a sheet, and you can cut smooth edges with a metal ruler & razor blade.

Make some cutting guides outside of the card area, so you can make consistent cuts without having to print lines as borders, which are obvious on the edges of the cut cards. Keep 'em clean!

I've had nice raised ink cards with a linen finish, and also made my own. I also had Kinko's print cards, thinking they'd be professional, and they look like an inkjet job. Not bad, but I could have done that!

But it's important, get as heavy card stock as you can, no less than 110 lb, for a pro feel.

Bermuda

Also, just a recommendation...

Keep the cards simple, and elegant. Obviously your name and some sort of contact info is necessary (cell, email or web site.) But keep it clean and uncluttered. My cards don't even say anything about drums, and there are no graphics or logos, just my name, web site, and cell in fairly small type in the middle of a beige card. They look nice and professional, and convey my essential info.

If you want to be a bit more tech, you can include a QR code for your site. Pretty much everyone has a smart phone and knows what to do with that. But that's about as fancy/clever as I'd get.

Bermuda

What do you guys think about printing cards on my ink jet printer? Too cheesy?

I used to do that. But now, by the time you've paid for the paper and ink, it would have been cheaper to order from vistaprint or similar service.

I've designed and printed my own. But then, I'm a graphic designer.

Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to offer input, as I would just do my own and upload a high-quality image to Moo, probably. (They are pretty great.)

Also, just a recommendation...

Keep the cards simple, and elegant. Obviously your name and some sort of contact info is necessary (cell, email or web site.) But keep it clean and uncluttered. My cards don't even say anything about drums, and there are no graphics or logos, just my name, web site, and cell in fairly small type in the middle of a beige card. They look nice and professional, and convey my essential info.

If you want to be a bit more tech, you can include a QR code for your site. Pretty much everyone has a smart phone and knows what to do with that. But that's about as fancy/clever as I'd get.

Bermuda

Agreed, so much. I wouldn't even put a QR code, they're kind of falling out of fashion. A usable/intuitive URL is much more preferable. Simplicity is the key.

Pick a good font, though :)

Two points:

Definitely have a local printer print them. You can get full-bleed cards (like mine below) for dirt cheap prices. You'll spend MUCH more if you print them on your inkjet. Plus they will look like crap. And then you have to cut them out, too.

Doing it yourself is an option, if you have the programs and fonts, and you know what you're doing. If you don't have all that, it's too much trouble to DIY, and it won't look professional. So just find a graphic design student that will do something for you for free or next to nothing. They need things to put in their portfolios. There are so many young kids trying to get into graphic design jobs these days. Just look on Craigslist.

Here's my band's card...

Attachments

• business-card.png
    business-card.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,037
...which reminds me of why you should always have someone elses business card in your wallet when playing golf. When that errant shot breaks a condo window or car windshield, you apologise and hand the complainer a random card and tell them to call you at the office to work out the details.

I'm going to remember this tip as I produce the most abhorrent displays of golf ever seen! :)

Back