Premier is getting there

It does, to a degree. But those bloody lugs....... Gah!!

Bring back the art deco or tear drop lugs that made Premier drums stand out,instead of thying to blend in with the pack.:)

Steve B

The lugs could be smaller, but I could still picture myself owning this kit.
The horizontal grain orientation makes me think of a steambent kit.

thx

jorn

Last edited:
I always have liked these current lugs. At least they have all their own parts and designs..

Looks like a plastic wrap with wood grain figure printed on it.
First impression was wow! but it got boring really quickly.

I think there's too much going on on the shells. I think a design like that requires a minimalistic surrounding to look good, like a room with a really simple color scheme.

Mela kilcki maka, my how spoiled we've become. Ill take those gorgeous tubs anyday. Gimme gimme

Ain't. nothing wrong with a little bit of constructive criticism :)

I've owned two sets of drums in my entire life and neither were specifically chosen for their looks. They were just ones that were, how do you say - available.
I've still been more than happy with what ever I've got.

I definitely wouldn't mind owning a set like that, but it would not be one that I would necessarily choose, looks-wise at least.

btw I have a degree in woodworking - well actually I have two degrees. My idea of good looking "wooden" designs has changed a lot after I started to learn more about the material.

532494_461130830599772_254126694_n.jpg

I had a good look at the Premier drums stand at the London Drum Show back in October. They looked very nice indeed - although I'm not sure I'm a fan of the lug design, either. Something smaller would be nicer.

I have a lot of fondness for Premier. It's such a shame that they've had so many problems in the last few years. I played an old 90s Premier at Uni for years as the 'house' kit in a band I played with and even though it was a low-end kit and had seen better days, it was an absolute joy. The snare in particular was fantastic and it doubled up for orchestral duties (I didn't play in the orchestra, fortunately!).

Their 2000 series snares were always great too. One of my favourite metal snares and I would equate them to be very similar to the Supraphonic. I'm always on the look out for a 2000 series snare as a metal alternative option (not that I'll ever use it given what I'm currently playing) and I just love them.

Let's hope they can become successful again. They have always made fantastic drums but have always lacked market exposure compared to some of the other major companies, especially in the US.

I like the drums. They look classy and well made. I understand the comments about the lugs, but who makes nice lugs? they usually do look ugly.

I like Premier's new look, at least their finishes. They've put a lot of work into getting their veneers to look striking. They know most drummers buy primarily on looks & brand, & have quite rightly concentrated on those areas. The exotic veneer kits aren't exactly cheap for a ply kit. That said, they're no more expensive than the equivalent DW, & I for one, prefer them.

I like Premier's new look, at least their finishes. They've put a lot of work into getting their veneers to look striking. They know most drummers buy primarily on looks & brand, & have quite rightly concentrated on those areas. The exotic veneer kits aren't exactly cheap for a ply kit. That said, they're no more expensive than the equivalent DW, & I for one, prefer them.

Are those actual exotic wood veneers? I swear they look like imitation wood to me, but I definitely hope I'm wrong about that, because I've been pulling for Premier to make a comeback. Could the flat finish be what's making it look funny to me? The DW and Sonor exotics have a high gloss finish, so maybe I just have it in my head that they should look like that. I'd like to see those Premiers up close.

Back